Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega D5 XL: anything I should be aware of?

Omega D5 XL: anything I should be aware of?

Well I went and did what I thought I wouldn't do, and bought a D5 XL off of Craig's List. Specifically, this one:

D5 XL.

I didn't think I was going to go the analog way because of the size of the place that I'm currently in (it's a small cabin in the Adirondacks), but I decided to turn the second room into a combination bedroom/darkroom. I can make that room light tight fairly easily, and it won't be the first time I've set up a work space like this.

Anyway, the guy I bought the enlarger from is giving it up because he and wife recently bought a new home, and he's only going to set up a b&w darkroom there (he has other enlargers).

Now for my question for those of you who have experience with this enlarger (I'm an old Durst afficionado, myself): anything I should be on the lookout for when I pick the enlarger up (besides a hernia)? I've got plenty of ceiling room, so I'm not worried about whether it's going to fit or not. I will need to find a couple of carriers for it (120 & 4x5), and some lenses as well. If I can find a rotary turret cheap enough, I'll probably go that route.

That's all I can think of for now...

TIA!

Re: Omega D5 XL: anything I should be aware of?

Sorry, don't know anything about the D5, just had to note that the paper alone that you got probably cost more than you paid for the whole set-up. Great deal even in today's next-to-nothing market for darkroom gear.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Looks like it's in great shape from the photos.

Things to look for include the gears, and springs on the back. Check your mixing chamber in the lamphouse. If there are a lot of spots on the bottom, then you might want to think about a new one. A few spots though won't matter. Then run the dials on the lamphhouse, make sure you got full control of the cyan, magenta, and yellow. Then check your Chromegatrol timer and see that it's within paramaters. Otherwise Omegas are pretty solid machines and you won't be disappointed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    Sorry, don't know anything about the D5, just had to note that the paper alone that you got probably cost more than you paid for the whole set-up. Great deal even in today's next-to-nothing market for darkroom gear.
    Yeah, I realized that paper would cost a smalll fortune in today's market. He doesn't know if it's still viable himself (he hasn't used any of it), and I guess I'll find out the first time I use it. He's also going to drop the printer and paper off at my house, as he's been relocating from Saratoga to Massena, and pretty much drives right by me on his way--we'll spend some time talking photography and chatting about the local area.

Anyway, I'll probably also pick up an Aristo head while I'm at it. I've been eyeing a D2-HI. Don't have the money for a CL45.

Quote Originally Posted by SamReeves View Post
    Things to look for include the gears, and springs on the back. Check your mixing chamber in the lamphouse. If there are a lot of spots on the bottom, then you might want to think about a new one. A few spots though won't matter. Then run the dials on the lamphhouse, make sure you got full control of the cyan, magenta, and yellow. Then check your Chromegatrol timer and see that it's within paramaters. Otherwise Omegas are pretty solid machines and you won't be disappointed!
    Thanks for that info, Sam!

Lens turrets show up all the time on ebay for not much money. Make sure you align it when you get it setup. My chromegatrol crapped out, and I think that is a fairly common occurrence. Keep an eye out for a used power supply, and make sure it comes with the voltage stabilizer module. I was never fond of the Chromegatrol as a timer, so I'm sort of glad it died. Looks like you got a good deal, especially if the paper is still good. If it is get most of it into a freezer.

Things to check on the enlarger would be: the gears on the back are plastic - make sure they are not stripped; make sure the glass cover on the mixing box is intact - my first one came smashed - not sure what issue it would cause; make sure the dichroic filters are all intact; make sure the mixing box is in good shape, and is for 4x5.

I have extra 120 and 4x5 negative carriers if you are interested let me know.
    Sid

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I'll add one of the basics with any used enlarger: clean the condensers and heat-sheild glass, check to see they aren't scratched, and check the alignment of the lensboard to see you have good focus wide open across the entire 4x5 format.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Good suggestions in general, I would that one does not
    need replace the whole mixing box if spots maybe just clean it out
    or replace the liner, which Omega sells as kit.

Quote Originally Posted by SamReeves View Post
    Looks like it's in great shape from the photos.

Jan,

This web site has a lot of info on Omega enlargers that may be of interest:

http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/