Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Backpack for 8x10

Backpack for 8x10

I use a Eureka backpack to carry my 8x10, and though the gear is much heavier then my former 4x5 kit, the pack is a much better pack then my former Lowepro pack, which sat on my lower back, as opposed to my hips. I have walked for several hours with my filly loaded pack (which weighs in at 40lbs or more) with no back complaints, which could never be said for my 4x5 kit.

The backpack is an internal frame, and holds my Toyo 8x10 G which measures 17"x19"x7" and weighs 20 lbs in a large top compartment, and the lenses in a lower compartment, which is accessable thruogh a lower fornt zippered flap. I carry the camera, a bag bellows, and three lenses (150mm Nikkor SW, 240 mm Symar, and 375mm Optar) in the back, and then seven film holders in a secondary daypack with is on the front of the pack - it unzips for removal, so that once the camera is out of the pack and set up on the tripod, you can take the whole bag of film holders with you, without moving the whole backpack.

I don't have any photos of the pack online yet, which is frustrating, as I can't turn up the pack on any of my web searches.

Backpack for 8x10

I think llamas can carry more than 100lbs. Pack mules work well too.

Backpack for 8x10

Like this one? "The Photographers Assistant" ! http://www.photoartssantafe.com/

tim a
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Backpack for 8x10

Another vote for The Lightware BP1420. But it is 2" too wide and 4" too long for airline carry-on. It's great for travel with a car or llamas. You will need to buy the case, a shell and dividers. Expensive, but worth every peny. Take a look at The Lightware website. Regards, -- Geoffrey

Backpack for 8x10

Oops, it's penny.

Backpack for 8x10

the serious decision in backpacking an 8x10 , after you get past WHY??????? is to decised on the steriod and exercise regieme. Thst is far more important than the fabric pack into you will commit your finacial future. Deciding what back pack is appropriate is akin to asking for advice from your stock broker as to waht suit you should wear when deciding waht stock to spend your next 10,000 dolloars on, THe answer is frankly irrelevant. The pack is only an infentisimal part of the equation. My own answer is to place the 8x10 into a Haliburton case and then to strap that sucker to a PACK FRAME, you see up here inthe FAR north we can still get pack frames< in hunting season I use that pack frame for packing out quarters of moose,Yes that is true,I don't always BS. So the rigidity of the case and light weight and the rigidity odf the frame does actiually make the load lighter to carry, the waist belt is very important to the ability to carry the load. I would not trust that much inveatment to any soft casePERIOD!!!. the smarter move is of course to invest in an off road A T V to carry you and the camera and accessories to the place that will yeild the most beautiful photographs, If that is not feasile then don't forget that you can rent an helicopter to take you to summit and other places quickly. I have done this on occassion and find that the film shot still exceesd the cost of the flight. Mules and lama are a serouiss consideration, I tried this on children but they were just too weak and whiney after the first 1000 meteres of ascent. Going back to the fabric cases, forget them if you really value your equipment you will not bother , if you have a full metal cased field camera like the technicardan or a kaodak MAster view in 8x10 then their cases will protect the camera, but your wood field camera will be just so many toothpicks after you have your first head over tea kettle tumble. Well it is you money..

ed