Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Road Trip

Road Trip

You must have already read Steinbeck's "Travels with Charley" and know that just posing the question stirs the wanderlust in the rest of us that can't go! If you land in Central Nevada, you can use my darkroom to change filmholders and I'll point you towards the Ancient Bristlecones and Death Valley. Weston's "California and the West" will be a fun read as you plan. Best of luck! J

Road Trip

Yellowknife is a looooooooooong way away. Pretty cool place though (figuratively and litterally). I was there briefly in November about 5 or 6 years ago. The Northern Lights were fantastic, the local architechture ecclectic and the people warm and inviting...

but I would not want to drive there. And I don't remember it being a particularily stunning place to photograph. Though I did not go there as a photographer and I was there when it was snowy and when there was not a whole lot of daylight to work with.

Be aware that part of the road (there is only one main hwy going in and out of town that I could find in any atlas) may be unpaved and open only seasonally. Much of the road leading there is in the middle of nowhere. You may want to invest in a personal emergency beakon or a HAM radio in case you get into trouble.

You might get more scenery per driven mile by starting the trip inland and exploring the different mountain ranges, and plains in Montana, Alberta and BC (I particularily love the Kootneys and the Okanagan Valley). Working your way to the West Coast of Vancouver Island in British Columbia. Be sure to stop in Catherdral Grove and explore some of the protected old growth forest near Tofino. Continue down to San Francisco along the Washington/Oregon/California Coast and come back via Yellowstone, Nevada, Utah, Colorado.

Hmmmmmmm.... now you've got me thinking of a road trip...

Good Luck. I'm turning green as I type this!!!!

Road Trip

David,

I've done your type of trip three times in the past 8 years. Always planning for the next time out. The wife thinks I'm completely crazy. I go for 15 - 20 days. Gotta make a living too, ya know. I go totally solo. Can't be with others when I'm making photos. My time's mine and mother nature's. Each time I go I learn more about myself than the places I've been. What I'm capable of and what I'm not. I'm assuming that your a scenic LF guy. Me too. I've found that the journey really is the whole idea. Destinations are just points on a map. I've also found more and better images as I'm traveling without any ideas of what kind of picture I want. Many times images jump out ahead of me. So, here's "Steve's Law": 1. Follow the road 2. Follow the road less travelled. HHHHHMMMMMMM Poetry 3. Look behind you once in a while, the view is different. 4. Don't always follow the road. 5. Make your own road. 6. Take breadcrumbs (sometimes you gotta get back to #1 above.) 7. Take 2 exposures of all subjects. But develope only 1. Hold the second exposure as insurance. B & W 4x5 film's cheap compared to driving thousands of miles and loosing that 1 neg to bad processing.

BWT my personnal fav's are slot canyons in AZ, coastlines in N. CA, OR and WA. Death Valley sand dunes at dusk.

Best of luck. Let me know how it goes.

-Steve

Road Trip

Dave,

The one thing I always fall prey to when I'm on a trip with a destination is my tendency to rush by places that appeal to me in some way without stopping, because I'm so "destination-bound".

I second the recommendations above regarding the Pacific Northwest and also the observation that "seeing" those old growth forests photographically speaking can require a different sort of eye.

Good luck,

Robb Reed

Road Trip

David: That website is www.vallescaldera.com. -jeff buckels

Road Trip

So much good advice- this is why I love this forum!

Road Trip

Yup! We be awsome.

Road Trip

Given the time of the year, I would stay in the North West. It's too hot/humid further south/east. Others have suggested avoiding the national parks, but as you know I am partial to them, and would take a road following Lake Superior, the South Dakota Black hills, the Colorado Rockies, Yellowstone, the North Pacific Coast from CA to WA, returning through Glacier NP and the Canadian Rockies. If you time the trip right, you can be at the peak of the wildflowers on most of your itinerary. At this time of the year, I would photograph in the morning, then drive to the next destination during mid-day, photograph in the evening, camp and go to sleep early. It helps if you have a vehicle you can sleep in because it's much easier to crash anywhere.

Road Trip

I also crash when I'm sleeping in the vehicle...........

Road Trip

David, go to AAA and get the road maps of the states you will be driving in. Then look for the scenic by-ways as the most interesting roads to travel. Never plan to be at a certain place at a certain time. Get on the road but only use the maps in the case of emergency. If you don't plan a route, you will never be lost and what you see will always be fresh. Some of the best sights I have seen have been on roadways that I decided to drive to see where I would end up. Good luck and happy shooting. Pat.