Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budget Scanning Options

Budget Scanning Options

Hello guys, so I just picked up a crown graphic and I am looking to get a scanner so I can put my negs online. I don't think I want anything super quality because if I end up printing then it would probably be for a gallery show, and they would need to be drummed scanned and printed rather large. So all I want to be able to do is make nice clean scans for the web quite quickly so I can view my images and keep a bit of a library that I can organize to a binder with images for quick editing before needing to go to print. I think an emphasis on quick would be nice too. I have found an older looking Epson V350 on a local classifieds for $30, and I also have Vuescan which I used for my Nikon V when doing 35mm.

Any help? I'm using a macbook right now if that helps in anyway.

Thanks!

Re: Budget Scanning Options

Bare minimum these days is the Epson V700-750. You can get a decent 3-4 times enlargement with it. You will be hearing about Howetec 4500 etc too.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

A v750 seems really pricey for what I want, I don't need to do any enlargements because I will be getting the film drum-scanned for any big printing, just something for putting them online that scans quickly and does a good clean job? What about a agfa arcus II scanner does anyone know anything of this scanner? There is one for sale locally cheap.

Hi Byron,

Agfa hasn't made scanners for awhile. As a result, make sure you can get the drivers you need. I used to have a Canon 9950F flatbed, and it worked fine. One of their cheaper models would probably do what you need for less than a comparable Epson. An older Epson would also probably be fine, such as a 4990. (I think that's the right model.) Probably anything that'll do 4x5 would work for what you need. Newer ones tend to be much faster.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thanks Peter!

The epson 3200 also does a good job with 4x5 scans, although it doesn't have ICE.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

I have an Epson 1680 for 4x5 and smaller. A friend has an Epson 4990 for 4x5 and smaller. We're happy as clams. We print 5x5 up to 16x20 (6x7 original) from 35mm, 6x6, 6x7 & 4x5.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Byron,

If price is a major concern, check out the HP G4050. I've been using this scanner for over 2 years and am very happy with the results relative to the price. I've made many a print at 16x20 and I've just finished prepping 8 files for 20x24." The files look great and I'm confident the prints will look good too.

Pre-scans are very fast once the scanner is "warmed up." Scanning a color positive at 2400 may take 5 or more minutes at 16bit, but that's ok for me. I also use the default HP software.

I'll make no claims that this scanner at that price ($169) is better than the Epsons or anything else, and it's probably not, but just passing along my experience.

Good Luck,
    Lon

The cheapest solution would be a two bulb light table, and setting almost any slightly modern digital camera as a copy stand, as long as your digital camera can focus at near macro distances. If you do a search here, there was a thread a little over a year ago in which copy stand type of set-up with light table was compared to low end scanners. The results were more than good enough for website or computer viewing, though might fall short for making prints.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Hmm, I don't really have a lens that focuses near macro and that seems to me it might be a bulky affair. I am still having troubles because most of what I can find in a local store only has the V700 that scans 4x5. Does anyone know of something in the $250 range at most that will scan that I can pick up in a department store and not have to order over ebay.