Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: New Envelope System for Quickload, ReadyLoad and Polaroid Holders

Re: New Envelope System for Quickload, ReadyLoad and Polaroid Holders

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    The envelopes are not designed to be re-loadable, just as the original Quickloads weren't, because of the dust problems; and plastic is not desirable due to its inherent ability to attract dust by static electricity.
    Thank you for disclosing that detail, Joanna. It eliminates one source of the dust problem, even if the self loading one still remains. But that is not more a problem than a normal sheet film holder.
    As to the plastic attracting dust - yes and not, not all the plastic is the same. But even if it attracts the dust (does Quickchange?) it's not bad - the dust is attracted to the holder, not the film.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    None of Joanna's posts in this thread say the envelopes will be paper. Were I embarking on such a project, given that they will be reusable rather than disposable, I'd be investigating tough, electrically conductive plastic envelopes. No paper dust and no static to attract other dust. A white area would easily accept notes from a "Sharpie" pen that could be removed by a simple isopropyl alcohol wipe.
    Apart from the mistaken supposition I agree with you. Plastic would be a natural choice for re-loadable holders. Somehow the Quickchange system didn't attract too much interest - probably because the dust free Quickloads were regarded as a greater advantage???

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    Somehow the Quickchange system didn't attract too much interest - probably because the dust free Quickloads were regarded as a greater advantage???
    Possibly because of the limit to how many sheets you could get in one holder, before you had to carry another holder, and another holder. Quickload is just so sweet because you only ever need the one holder and then as many sheets of film as you can carry.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    It had crossed my mind to use such a plastic but I decided to opt for the added value of being able to convert the envelope for archival storage, rather than a reusable, and considerably more expensive, and possibly increasingly less reliable, envelope.
    I'll be interested to see how an envelope that's compatible with the Quickload holder can be converted for reuse as a storage vehicle. There are established storage systems, e.g. thumb-cut envelopes with interleaving folders and flip-top boxes, that offer great protection in a small space.

The biggest challenge will likely be designing a method to hold film. In Quickload packets, the clip is attached to a short leader which is glued to the film. A trailer is glued to the other end of the film. No reusable configuration that fits in an envelope and is thin enough for holder compatibility comes to (my) mind. Good luck!

I'll be interested to see how an envelope that's compatible with the Quickload holder can be converted for reuse as a storage vehicle.
    Of course, you would be wise to put the film into a polyester sleeve as well but my sleeve design should work fine, with the minimum of effort and, what's more the original notes that you made on the envelope when shooting will be preserved.

No reusable configuration that fits in an envelope and is thin enough for holder compatibility comes to (my) mind. Good luck!
    Heheh, which is why I've designed it and not you
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

Well, I greatly look forward to seeing the outcome, regardless of what some dust crazed photographers think.

This would be of interest to me, and I look forward to testing the Envelope System.
    I hope that you are planning to have a US dealer so that we are not faced with large shipping charges.

Len Eselson

Good luck with this Jo!

Quote Originally Posted by Len Eselson View Post
    This would be of interest to me, and I look forward to testing the Envelope System.
    I hope that you are planning to have a US dealer so that we are not faced with large shipping charges.

Len Eselson
    Keep it UK-based Jo and charge a fortune for shipping and then.. and then take over the world

Good luck.

Would it be worthwhile for someone to look into making some sort of new updated Grafmatic holder? Just a thought.