Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: New Envelope System for Quickload, ReadyLoad and Polaroid Holders

Re: New Envelope System for Quickload, ReadyLoad and Polaroid Holders

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    I have checked the patents that I can find on the IPO site and, as far as I can tell, as long as I don't outright copy their envelope design, which I am not, we should be OK. Also I am not copying the whole system, just providing an alternative envelope that happens to fit, not only their holder but also the Kodak and Polaroid.
    "as long as I don't outright copy their envelope design, which I am not, we should be OK.".
    As someone who worked also in a Patent application bureau I can tell you that this supposition could prove itself to be completely wrong. Many patents are worded in such a way that even using the idea that underlines the patent application in a changed way is not possible without infringing the original patent. In fact, not to allow it is one of the main goals of a patent application.
    You'd better to consult a professional patent consultant who will read in between the lines of existing patents and inform you about the possibilities of your "changes" in a professional way. Unless you know the rules of patents applications you can not be sure on your own. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    PS: IMHO Quickchange failed because it was too expensive for the one-time use Fuji officially supported, but did not have proven robustness (or any guarantee from Fuji) for reloading for professional shooting.
    Really? So plastic was not robust enough. Paper would be???

Looking forward to seeing your product, Joanna. It would be great for backpacking and hiking. Good luck with the development!

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    "as long as I don't outright copy their envelope design, which I am not, we should be OK.".
    As someone who worked also in a Patent application bureau I can tell you that this supposition could prove itself to be completely wrong. Many patents are worded in such a way that even using the idea that underlines the patent application in a changed way is not possible without infringing the original patent. In fact, not to allow it is one of the main goals of a patent application.
    You'd better to consult a professional patent consultant who will read in between the lines of existing patents and inform you about the possibilities of your "changes" in a professional way. Unless you know the rules of patents applications you can not be sure on your own. Good luck.
    Yes, but Joanna has clearly looked at the patent and concluded that it applies to the design of the envelope.

What did you do in the Patent application bureau - tell them all that what they were proposing wasn't possible and wouldn't work?

I've been following this with interest as the product would definitely be of interest to me - given the cost of QL which will only continue to increase in future.

One thing that does concern me, and which hasn't already been mentioned, is the securing mechanism and how easy will it be to operate when you're fumbling around in the dark. Current QL envelopes use an adhesive with low peel-apart strength to attach the various tabs to the film but that solution would be awkward for DIY loading. How do you ensure precise alignment?

Quote Originally Posted by joolsb View Post
    One thing that does concern me, and which hasn't already been mentioned, is the securing mechanism and how easy will it be to operate when you're fumbling around in the dark. Current QL envelopes use an adhesive with low peel-apart strength to attach the various tabs to the film but that solution would be awkward for DIY loading. How do you ensure precise alignment?
    I cannot yet reveal the details now; suffice to say, I have thought it through and alignment will not be a problem
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

The thought of hiking around with one holder and 'unlimited' quantities of film, rather than 8 DDS an aching back and potentially limited quantities of film sounds like a winner straight away.... It would be great to see this getting off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by kev curry View Post
    The thought of hiking around with one holder and 'unlimited' quantities of film, rather than 8 DDS an aching back and potentially limited quantities of film sounds like a winner straight away.... It would be great to see this getting off the ground.
    I completely agree - this might actually be better than (yet) another competing brand specific QL system (such as one from Ilford). Count me in!

Have you actually made a prototype?..Evan Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    Have you actually made a prototype?
    Yes.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG