Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyo or Ebony

Toyo or Ebony

I've been comfortable using the Toyo 45AII and really value the rotating back.
    However, the Ebony SV45U2, sounds like a really nice camera (minus the rotating back).
    Any thoughts about either camera.
    I suppose one could always take the back off, rotate and put back. But is there any concern about taking off and putting on and dust?
    Which one is better?
    Any opinions about either camera would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Re: Toyo or Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoBob View Post
    I've been comfortable using the Toyo 45AII and really value the rotating back.
    However, the Ebony SV45U2, sounds like a really nice camera (minus the rotating back).
    Any thoughts about either camera.
    I suppose one could always take the back off, rotate and put back. But is there any concern about taking off and putting on and dust?
    No real problem, you get just as much dust removing and replacing a lens.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoBob View Post
    Which one is better?
    Any opinions about either camera would be appreciated.
    If I were you, I'd save myself a bunch of money and go for the Ebony SV45Te. The only movement it hasn't got is the asymmetric ones. I have used the SV45Te for years and never had cause to miss asymmetric movements.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

Michael Alpert

You write that you are comfortable with the camera you are using. Why do you want to change?

Sure, Ebonys are beautiful and capable cameras, but if your Toyo does everything you need, then why change? The Ebony won't make you a better photographer.
    You may as well spend the extra money on film and traveling. Or simply save it.

Drew Wiley

Depends on the range of lenses you plan to work with. The Ebony is much more
    versatile.

I don't have personal experience with the Ebony but those that use them seem to fall under a spell of some sort so they must be good. But I prefer metal cameras. The Toyo is very good except for limited bellows.

If you want to spend a lot of money on a new camera with more capability than your Toyo, buy an Arca Swiss F-Line Metric with Micrometric Orbix with an SK Grimes adapter board to use your Toyo lens boards. I have one and can't imagine a better quality camera. I have seen a number of used, standard F-Line cameras for sale lately at great prices.

I don't have it anymore
    I shoot primarily 4x5 pinhole now, but really miss a lens camera.

I own a Toyo 45AX, and I've used Ebonies. As long as it can use the lenses you'd like, I prefer the Toyo.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    I own a Toyo 45AX, and I've used Ebonies. As long as it can use the lenses you'd like, I prefer the Toyo.
    I'm going to be the opposite of Peter. I've used/owned a Toyo A11 and it's a very capable camera. Built like a tank! But, I prefer the Ebony as it is lighter and handles a better range of lenses, up to a 450. But if the Toyo does the job, it's a much less expensive way to go. Jim

(Peter, nice talking with you at Sheboygan.)

PM sent