Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Technikarden45

Technikarden45

Please could you advise me about the main differences between the older and newe r models of the Technikarden 45 /45s and the value of the changes. I have a chan ce of buying the older model.

Many thanks

Robin

Technikarden45

1: detents for tilt and swings front and rear on S. 2: front and rear L same width on S. 3: L standards are made from two straight pieces and joined with a block to make the L on the S. On the older version it is a straight extrusion bent into a right angle. The S replaced the TK in 1992.

Technikarden45

I have the older model. I love it and would never part with it. I would buy one in any other format if they made it. I've bid on the 6x24 conversion that comes up every now and again on Ebay. That said, I would absolutely love the 45S model because it is so much easier to set up and start a shoot with at zero for all movements, and the lighter L standard in the front of the 45 is easier to bend in an accident (I did and it cost me). Someday I'll buy one and keep my 45 as a backup.

Technikarden45

I would go for the older model! It is lighter, has some more cm extension and has markings for vertikal swings that go up to 30 degrees, not only to 15 degrees, like the "s". If You need very big movements You can turn the TK to one side (90 degrees) which works very well. The only restriction will then be the bellows and of course Your lens. But the 15 degree scale ist definitely not enough when using horizonzal Scheimpflug with the turned TK in combination with the Rodenstock calculator. BTW it is difficult to get an used TK and even more difficult to get an used TKs. So go Ahead if the price is okay! You will love that camera.

Good luck!

Technikarden45

"I would buy one in any other format if they made it. I've bid on the 6x24 conversion"

Just as long as you realize that this is not a Linhof product. It simply uses parts from Linhofs and is made by third parties.

Technikarden45

Hi Robin, I've owned both cameras and still own the 45S. I bought both cameras new. I bought the first camera in 1988 and I was thrilled. Opening/ closing is easy with practice. The controls, strange at first, quickly become familiar. Clever design, compact when folded and very easy to use.

But - and I'm sure this will generate some response - it just wasn't very stable. Indoors it was great. Outdoors it was no fun. The slightest breeze would get it wiggling, even when solidly mounted on a big Gitzo with the BIG Arca Monoball. Dare I even mention the fact that a Polaroid 545 back was enough weight to cause the rear to tilt. You can test this for yourself by centering the bubble levels and putting a little pressure on the standard. On those "breezy" days, the bubbles do a little dance! And yes, this was a new camera with all locks, etc. tight. I liked it, but sold it, and bought the 45S.

That first model was originally designed as a 2x3" camera, with the 4x5 version being a sort-of afterthought.

There are two main differences between the models; the click-stops on center and the larger "L" frames (and support hardware). The click-stops dramatically speed setting up the camera. Those larger "L" frames noticeably increase the stability.

I've owned my 45S for seven years now and am very happy with it. It seems to withstand a strong breeze now. On these pages I've seen a lot of opinions on the Technikardan, but basically it's a compact camera that can perform many different tasks easily without having to buy or carry much extra stuff.

A note to Mr. Hildebrand - the scales on my 45S - both tilt and swing are marked with a range of 28mm......

If you like the Technikardan, spend the extra $$ and get the new one.

Technikarden45

A note to Mr. Artz:

Maybe You are a lucky guy an have a special version. If You look at the Linhof website (which recently has been modified) You will see and read (in German) that the TK "s" has at least now (to my knowledge always had) vertical swings of 15 degrees (not mm!) on back and front standart.

Best regards

Technikarden45

"Maybe You are a lucky guy an have a special version. If You look at the Linhof website (which recently has been modified) You will see and read (in German) that the TK "s" has at least now (to my knowledge always had) vertical swings of 15 degrees (not mm!) on back and front standart. "

The TK 23, the TK 45, the TK 23S and the TK 45s all have 360? of tilt and swing on the front and rear standards. The tilt scale's length is restricted by the width of the L standard. but both series in both sizes have tilt and swing limited only by the bellows.

As for scales only the very first productions of the original TK cameras did not have fully calibrated rails. These scales are readily available to any TK owner who does not have calibrated rails. They are peel and stick and are free for the asking.

All TKs models have the scales.

Technikarden45

A note to Mr. Salomon:

In my first thread I described the only by lens and bellows restricted movements of the Technikardan and pointed out that a 15 degree scale might not be enough in certain cases. Having said this my second thread was only about the scale (15 or 30 degrees) and not about any restriction of movements.

Best regards

Technikarden45

Yo Steve,

If your TK tilts when you put in a Polaroid back then there is something wrong and a servicing is in order, I would think. I not only use a P-back all the time, but built an extension back for my TK 45 out of an old Speed Graphic body coupled to a Kardan-sized board that fits nicely into the back of the TK. I did this in order to get more effective bellows draw and to gain a shutter so I could use my 600mm Nikkor barrel lens on the camera. And with all that weight towards the back my TK holds firm. I just attach the macro bracket for stability of the rail and shoot away. The camera is astounding and much prefered over my heavier, bulkier, slower Sinar C.

Hi Bob, yes, I realized that the 6x24cm is an aftermarket modification. But the camera in any other format makes it all so tempting. If I could I would modify to 5x7 and 8x10.