Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Arista EDU Ultra B&W 200

Arista EDU Ultra B&W 200

I am new to large format and saw this film on Freestyle. At almost 50 cents a sheet I am wondering how bad this really is (if it is indeed bad at all). i am getting ready to get in to the field this weekend and start using the camera with a much more expensive film, and thought this might be a more economical way for me to learn. your opinions are highly appreciated.

Re: Arista EDU Ultra B&W 200

It is a perfectly good film. Things to be aware of: it develops and builds contrast very quickly, and it is much slower than rated. I use 50 ISO in both Xtol and D-76.

It is pretty good film but as Jason points out, it is not a true ISO100 film and it builds contrast wickedly fast. I found it nearly impossible to use and gave up after only 100 sheets. I definitely would not recommend starting out with this film - unless you live someplace with very drab lighting. Even if that were the case, I'd still recommend starting with Kodak Tri-X or Kodak TMY-2 or just about anything from Ilford.

Compared to all the time and effort you put into the process, film is cheap. Don't try to pinch pennies too far.

i use foma 100 or arista.edu.ultra (same stuff) and i love it. matter of fact i am listing some kodak stuff for sale so i can buy more foma!

i rate the 100 at 100 and shoot using both silver paper and VDB.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Dave Karp

I just developed some 5x7 Arista.EDU Ultra 200 for the first time. I am an HP5+ and FP4+ user and very happy with it. I am also very happy with the Arista. The look is very different. It is hard to explain. Perhaps someone who can describe wine would be able to explain the look. I would try it.

Drew Wiley

As noted by others, this film is a bit different and builds contrast quickly. Just takes
    some getting used; but since you're new to the game, you won't have preconceptions.
    And it is slower than the box speed. But quality-wise there's nothing wrong with it at
    all. In fact, it's a very handy film when you need a significant build of contrast in the
    lower values, something which most "modern" films have a problem with.

The three Foma films (100, 200, 400) are great! I use them in 135, 120, 4x5 and 8x10 (of course not the 400, which doesn't exist in LF) with Pyrocat HD: excellent results, and better QC compared to Efke/Adox stuff.
    "I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

Another comment, the reciprocity is nowhere nearly as bad as Foma's Data-sheets state.

I did some practical test and found the reciprocity was nothing like as bad as the datasheet. This is what I wrote in a previous post

"At 1 second it only only needed around half a stop (recommendation is 1.5 stops) and at lower light levels 10 seconds it was about a stop (not the 3 stops recommended). These test were made in poor daylight 1 second @ f8 100 EI and very low interior lighting 10 seconds @ f8. These are the conditions the film will be used in.

While the tests were with 120 film I found that the sheet film behaved quite similarly.

Fomapan 100 seems to have very similar reciprocity chracteristics from the two frames I've shot at low light levels so far.

Ian

My first experiences with 5x7 were with the Arista EDU 200 and was very happy with my results in Pyrocat-MC when rotary processed. So far the only film I like better in 5x7 is the Efke PL25.

As others have noted, Arista.EDU Ultra (both 100 and 200) are very good films - they are relabeled Fomapan 100 and 200 respectively. Both of them are slower than box speed for most people - I shoot Fomapan 100 @ EI 64 and develop in Rodinal 1:50 for 10:30minutes - and I don't have a problem with excessive contrast - scans well. In fact, it's my most used film - you can have a look here. I have only one (minor) issue with this film - the reciprocity is quite bad - you need to bear this in mind. If you do, then it's no problem at all, it's just not suitable for long night exposures.

Fomapan 200 I shoot at EI 125 and also develop in Rodinal 1:50, the time is shorter, but I don't have my notes at hand (and I only shoot this one in rolls).

Buy it, try it, there are quite a lot of people who like it, chances are you'll too...

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").