Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alternative to Acros 100

Alternative to Acros 100

I shoot exclusively B&W film in 5x4 (and always Acros 100 Quickloads).

Given Acros 100 is supposedly no longer being produced (that's the case for the UK market from what I'm told, not sure about the rest of the world), I am trying to find alternatives ......... what I liked about Acros 100 was fine grain & sharpness. But, more importantly for me, given I take night-photos, I especially liked its reciprocity characteristics (ie, no adjustment for recipocity for a # of minute shutter speeds).

What's the nearest alternative, especially with regards to reciprocity??

I am assuming that I also now need to head down the non-Quickload route, and will have to start using a tent etc.

Thanks

Re: Alternative to Acros 100

Jon, Acros is not being discontinued, it is only the Quickloads that are going away. So, if you are ready to start using film holders and a tent continue to shoot Acros.

jan

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Warwick View Post
    I shoot exclusively B&W film in 5x4 (and always Acros 100 Quickloads).

Given Acros 100 is supposedly no longer being produced (that's the case for the UK market from what I'm told, not sure about the rest of the world), I am trying to find alternatives ......... what I liked about Acros 100 was fine grain & sharpness. But, more importantly for me, given I take night-photos, I especially liked its reciprocity characteristics (ie, no adjustment for recipocity for a # of minute shutter speeds).

What's the nearest alternative, especially with regards to reciprocity??

I am assuming that I also now need to head down the non-Quickload route, and will have to start using a tent etc.
    As Jan says, Acros is not being discontinued, only in QL.

Join us on the UKLFPG forums for a continuing discussion of what we intend to do about making the cut sheet film more easily available in the UK.
    Joanna Carter
    Grandes Images

UKLFPG

I thought Fuji was still making Acros QL, they just aren't exporting it anymore. Is that correct? If so, I would think someone will import it as a "grey market" product. Robert White shows Acros QL as a special order with 6 weeks delivery. "Available to special order from Japan; minimum quanity 20 boxes , delivery time 6 weeks." I assume they are importing it this way.

tmax 400 and 100 has similar reciprocity numbers.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Thanks for the replies. Does anyone know a place in the UK that sells Acros 100 in non-Quickload 5x4 sheets? (I am struggling to find anywhere obvious on the internet). It all seems just Quickload from the places I am looking at (eg, Silverprint; FujiFilm Pro Film Shop; etc), but I daresay I could be looking at the wrong places. Thanks.

I'd also read (how accurate the post was, who knows) that it was still being produced, just not imported to US and elsewhere. If so, perhaps we could get together like the ULF folks do, and have someone (I've contacted Badger) bring it in. If I hear anything positive in reply, I'll let you know. Otherwise, I guess it's back to canned air, tents, et al.

Rick

Jeff at Badger said fuji doesn't make special orders, so that seemed to kill the idea of getting a volume order together.

What was more interesting is that I then called Fuji USA, and spoke with "Kelly" about this, asking if the rumors/stories were true. She said there had been no announcement of discontinuance (maybe this is the standard announcement, even if the decision has been made), that no films have been discontinued. She said they're aware of the rumors- I suggested they might reassure the QL-consuming public, and she said they'd pass it along. Perhaps others might email or call, if you'd miss the product. Who knows, the discontinuance notice may be sitting by the fax machine for all I know, but it's worth a shot.

BTW, I found some boxes at Chicago's Central Camera (centralcamera.com) at the not-TOO-usurious price of $57.

Rick

Drew Wiley

Acros has a very different look from either of the TMax films. It is also a completely
    different category of film (Orthopan versus panchromatic). Fuji is overstocked on
    ten-sheet boxes, so maybe this is just a temporary ploy to reduce inventory (I certainly hope so! Loved the Quickloads for backpacking!)