Thread: Hello from Penang

Sean

Hello from Penang

Hello everyone,

After many years in the smaller formats, finally gave in to LF, with a chance of getting a Newton New-Vue VC-2 cheaply, it came with two B&L lenses. Also bought the Schneider 210mm f/5.6 Symmar, Graphex Optar 135mm f/5.6. and a beat-up cosmetic-wise Pacemaker, all in the past month
    Well its a gentle start, on the pocket at least.

Main interest for this format is b&w landscape but will do some cityscape and portraitures, thus the choice of cameras & lens combo.

Challenge here is everything DIY from repairing to making up the b&w film developers, since its non-existence here in my hometown. Now making some dev.tubes from PVC pipings.

No doubt lots of reading up to do plus questions too.

Me & my new toy doing the dry run
    Attachment 29044

cheers,
    Sean

Re: Hello from Penang

Welcome to the forum Sean. It is very difficult these days to find film and chemicals in digital Asia, but we do have a few places in Bangkok, and I reckon they probably do in KL as well. If you have trouble getting film, you can buy Shanghai 4x5 pretty cheap on ebay, shipped direct from China. Freestyle in the US has everything, but the shipping charges from there are outrageous.

I was down that way a few months ago for the by-election.

Best, Tim

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    Welcome to the forum Sean. It is very difficult these days to find film and chemicals in digital Asia, but we do have a few places in Bangkok, and I reckon they probably do in KL as well. If you have trouble getting film, you can buy Shanghai 4x5 pretty cheap on ebay, shipped direct from China. Freestyle in the US has everything, but the shipping charges from there are outrageous.

I was down that way a few months ago for the by-election.

Best, Tim
    Thanks Tim, for the welcome.

There were a few by-elections lately, tend to loose touch.

Well we are kind of like neighbours in this boderless eWorld

Yup I tend to do my shopping off eBay - films, cameras & lenses too.
    I will using alot of Shanghai during the learning curve, until I get to a point of dissatifaction then onto Ilford films - FP4 which I did use extensively with the smaller formats whilst studying in UK.

I am about 370km from KL, even processing for 35mm/120 slides are sent to KL
    So I am in the process of sourcing for chemical components to make up my own developer - with the help of the Net formulae vs what's available locally, at the meantime making up some daylight 4x5 developing tubes.

cheers,
    Sean

Welcome to group therepy, Sean; the New Vue was a solid, though somewhat heavy, design that has been seen under a few different names over the years. Both lenses you got with it are good designs, with the Symmar being a convertible to boot. While alot of folks disparage the convertible lenses performance when converted, I have had pretty good luck with them thru the years (I have three at the moment). You do have to remember to check your focus after stopping the converted lens since many of them shift focus slightly when stopped down when using only one lens group...that might well be the cause of many folks' problems with them.

Welcome Aboard, Sean!

Scott Davis

Welcome from Washington DC. Don't forget about the stores in Singapore, as I THINK Cathay Photo still carries large format film and supplies. It's been a few years since I was in there, so I can't say anymore.

Hi Sean, Welcome to the Forum from a Dane in the US Pacific NW. Good to see a new face and look forward to see you around.

jan

Welcome to LFP and a big Hello to Penang! What a surprise to find your post as I will be in Penang soon.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Vick Vickery View Post
    Welcome to group therepy, Sean; the New Vue was a solid, though somewhat heavy, design that has been seen under a few different names over the years. Both lenses you got with it are good designs, with the Symmar being a convertible to boot. While alot of folks disparage the convertible lenses performance when converted, I have had pretty good luck with them thru the years (I have three at the moment). You do have to remember to check your focus after stopping the converted lens since many of them shift focus slightly when stopped down when using only one lens group...that might well be the cause of many folks' problems with them.
    Thanks Vick, that is useful tip on the convertable gotcha, but I reckoned I will struggle with the standard setting first.

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Moose View Post
    Welcome Aboard, Sean!
    Thanks Navy !

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    Welcome from Washington DC. Don't forget about the stores in Singapore, as I THINK Cathay Photo still carries large format film and supplies. It's been a few years since I was in there, so I can't say anymore.
    Yes I have friends offering to get any stuff I need from Cathay should I need them, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pedersen View Post
    Hi Sean, Welcome to the Forum from a Dane in the US Pacific NW. Good to see a new face and look forward to see you around.

jan
    Thanks Jan, glad to be here - hopefully have some images up once I sorted out the developing process.

Quote Originally Posted by chy View Post
    Welcome to LFP and a big Hello to Penang! What a surprise to find your post as I will be in Penang soon.
    chy, sure do let me know when and what is your interest, I would be happy to show you around so that I can short cut your time to the locations.

Drop me an email : ssthow-at-yahoo-dot-com.

These dates I will be out of town though :
    13th Aug : I will be away shooting the Chinese Opera for 2 days, will be bringing the LF setup too since Kellie's Castle is only a stone throw from the town where I am staying.
    Sept : ?? not sure but thinking of a trip to Lake Toba
    1st -7th Oct : I will be away shooting in Sabah

Yup trying to do something every month

Hi Sean,

I saw this a bit late, but better late than never!

I'm in Singapore and while 4x5 film is in short supply, it is still possible to get some stuff here. Generic mainstream B&W chemicals in powder and liquid form is generally no problem but I'm not sure if mailing liquids up to you would be a problem. I can easily find out for you if need be.

Cathay seems to do more Kodak and Fuji, whereas Ruby Photo just opposite them handles everything Ilford, as well as some Kodak and Fuji.

If you need any help at all, shoot me a PM.

CHEERS!