Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Whats the silliest thing you've done with a camera

Re: Whats the silliest thing you've done with a camera

Reminds me. Years ago I was shooting street scenes (in Boston) with a small group. I was leader and was supposed to find interesting situations to shoot. Came upon a classic drunk stretched out in the gutter on Milk St. As we were shooting a police vehicle pulled up (ambulance like as I recall) and lifted the guy to the vehicle telling my group "he's dead you know". I was roundly berated by the group.

Nate Potter, Harrington ME.

I shot a magazine article on missionary bush pilots. I mounted one of my F4's with a 16mm fisheye on the wing strut of a Cesna 185. I ran a remote wire under the strut and belly and brought the release in the right window of the plane. I instructed the pilot to fly at low altitude through the mountains and look out of his side window with it open. It was a really cool shot showing the entire length of the aircraft along with the pilot and the ground below.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post
    Reminds me. Years ago I was shooting street scenes (in Boston) with a small group. I was leader and was supposed to find interesting situations to shoot. Came upon a classic drunk stretched out in the gutter on Milk St. As we were shooting a police vehicle pulled up (ambulance like as I recall) and lifted the guy to the vehicle telling my group "he's dead you know". I was roundly berated by the group.

Nate Potter, Harrington ME.

Did this actually happen? Photographing the homeless has always been a no no for me.

Big "DOH!!" moment. Hiked in to a beach, with camera, tripod, lenses, light meter, water, lunch and discovered when I got there that I didn't have the trpod plate to attach the camera and tripod together.

Shooting the night sky with a 35mm Canon and 135mm lens.

I looked through the viewfinder.

A crescent moon was in the middle.

Jupiter was on the left of the frame.

Venus was on the right of the frame.

It looked OK, but I wanted more room on both sides.

I lifted the camera + tripod and backed up two feet. The moment I did it I realized how stupid that was!

Just for fun.... Drive around Yosemite valley with an old or broken camera intentionally left on the roof or rear bumper.... great reactions from tourists!

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Does 35mm count? I made the national Hang Gliding magazine a few times back in my wild years, including this one of me coring up ain a thermal at Miller Canyon. Never hung the 8x10 under my wing, though...

"I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Landscape/Still Life

From a few years ago some of you might have been there for this one...

Eastern Sierra workshop.... at the cabin at Convict Lake

A classic large format moment....
    Last edited by Ted Stoddard; 23-Jul-2009 at 10:01. Reason: error

With 35mm ... carefully set up a group shot, balance the ambient light with the flash (it was near sunset), shoot several, change flash level, shoot several again, hand the camera to a friend so I could be in the picture, have him fire a couple, disband the group, and 30 min later (after sunlight was gone) discover that there was no film in the camera.

This goes back to 1972, i just got my drivers license and urgently wanted to go to the first motor race in my life. My younger brother was already into photography and had a little darkroom in our parents basement and also had a Zenith E camera with a couple of lenses so, i asked if i could borrow his gear to go take some good shots from the race track. No problem, just before i left i asked him if there was film in the camera and he said off course and told me what kind of film.
    Well, when i came back from the race track and asked my brother to develop the film there was no film in the camera.
    Still remember some of the shots i took.