Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genuine versus generic lensboard for Linhof

Genuine versus generic lensboard for Linhof

A simple question: given that genuine Linhof lensboards cost about twice as much as generic unbranded ones is there a real superiority to them? Are they made to tighter tolerances and thus a better fit on Linhof cameras? In short: is it worth paying the extra or is it just a case of Linhof being, as always, very pricey? Afterall it's a lot extra to pay just for that nice little badge in the top corner. I use a Technikardan 45 so I am interested in their fit on a Linhof, not on other cameras that take Linhof size boards.

Re: Genuine versus generic lensboard for Linhof

Only to collectors. A board is aboard is a board.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Not all Chinese made ones seem fit as well, so you will have to watch it a bit.
    The ones from Wista are good and have a badge....
    Wista actualy bought a Linhof once and started to copy it, they did a pretty good job at it too.

Peter

I mostly used Linhof boards on my Technikardan and Technikas. But I did use other boards occasionally - Wista, Horseman Woodfield, Adorama, the generic board that Midwest Photo sells, and a few others. They all worked fine. I just liked using Linhof boards on Linhof cameras but I can't say there was any difference in ease of use, fit, or anything else between them and the others except that the Adorama board had a cheap, flimsy feel to it.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Many of my "generic" boards are slightly THINNER than the real Linhof boards. It doesn't make any difference on the Technika or Kardon, which holds them in place with a spring clip, but on some of the other cameras, such as my Nagaoka, they have to be shimmed with paper to snug them in place so they don't rattle around.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Lofoten, Northern Norway

I have made several lensboards of aluminium plate. The material is fairly easy to cut, bore and file with simple tools. I cut lensholes with an electric jigsaw with blade for metal plates. The smaller holes may be a little tricky due to "sharper curve". One solution is to cut straight cuts within the circle first, make parts of the curves with the jigsaw and smoothen the edges with a file. One can also bore many holes inside the circle and cut the material between them before the fine work with a rounded file.

I never made the kind of lighttrap that you find in Linhof and some of the other boards. So far I haven't had any light leaks between the fronts of my cameras and the lensboards. My Shen Hao HZX-IIA has felt on the front face, whilst Linhof seems to rely on the light trap. Still the flat boards have worked fine so far. Each board could have a thin felt glued to the back, or a ring of felt, rubber, metal or other matrial of the same thickness as the light trap of the Linhof boards.

I found some flat black paint in spray can that works well, it is heat resistant, not the shiny hobbypaint.

If you have access to materials and simple tools (and basic skills), selfmade lensboards are an alternative. ;-)

Svein Lindberg

Other than the obvious cosmetic differences, the only difference I have ever noticed is that the generics are thinner than the genuine article.

(EDIT: oh...I see Bill already noted this above )

Quote Originally Posted by Archphoto View Post
    Not all Chinese made ones seem fit as well, so you will have to watch it a bit.
    The ones from Wista are good and have a badge....
    Wista actualy bought a Linhof once and started to copy it, they did a pretty good job at it too.

Peter
    Correct. Some of the chinese lens boards sold on eBay don't always fit the Chamonix. I have generic lens boards sold by Robert White in the UK and they are a bit thinner than those chinese boards, so they fit easily. Other than the fit on certain cameras, there is no real advantage in buying the expensive genuine Linhof boards.

Quote Originally Posted by svlindbe View Post
    I have made several lensboards of aluminium plate. The material is fairly easy to cut, bore and file with simple tools. I cut lensholes with an electric jigsaw with blade for metal plates.
    Hole saws require little more in terms of tools, but they make cutting lens holes a LOT easier.

Rick "who has had to add flocking material to some cheapie lens boards that are too shiny on the backsides" Denney

There is one diference between the original Linhof boards and the chinese ones: the Linhof boards are made of expensive and tough aircraft grade aluminium.
    They are a pain ot saw into, but are very stiff and best suited for the heavier lenses.
    At least the ones I made fit to two of my lenses......

Peter