Page 40 of 404 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: post alternative techniques

Re: post alternative techniques

Quote Originally Posted by timbo10ca View Post
    Here's one of my latest Ziatypes (a month ago). Trying to improve highlight separation and get nice deep blacks. FP4+ in ABC Pyro on Crane's Kid Finish white.
    Timbo, this scene looks familiar. Is it Bucks County, PA?

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Great start with pt/pd, Jim! What paper are you using?

Vaughn
    Vaughn and Sandy. I am a dedicated carbon printer! I was over at my friend Matt Blais house and he was going to do some Pt/Pd prints and I brought some of my old Azo to do some proofs of negatives from my recent trip. We never got to the Azo, which has a beautiful tonality, it is 1976.

We used the COT 320 paper and it is nice but since I am a cheap bastard and still donating to my 9 year college fund I can not see this going to far. I like what you can do with the process and I am always open to trying other things and so I did. But I was left wondering what will this look like in carbon?

I am trying to prefect my process for getting cleaner highlights in my carbon work so I can try more figure and portrait work. I think the Pt/Pd lends itself nicely to this process but again I keep wondering what it will look like in carbon. I'm not concerned with relief in the portrait and figure images but the unique tonality I can get in blending my own pigment ratios for the final tone in this work. I have a long way to go but it was nice to do a different process.

It is not in the cards for me from a financial aspect right now and may never be. I keep getting told that I am limiting myself by using only one print process. I know I can get everything that I need out of carbon and eventually I will get there.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    I keep getting told that I am limiting myself by using only one print process.
    Jim
    Ignore those people, make images as you see fit. Additionally, those people will still be dilettantes while you master a process and learn to make it sing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore View Post
    Ignore those people, make images as you see fit. Additionally, those people will still be dilettantes while you master a process and learn to make it sing.
    Jeremy, thank you. I respect and enjoy all of my friends work and the processes that they use. I have found that for my work carbon transfer is it for me. Maybe this will change at some point in time but I knew I found my niche when I saw my first carbon print not long ago. Once I master the process to my satisfaction I may try something else. I honestly do not see that happening.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Karnezis View Post
    Timbo, this scene looks familiar. Is it Bucks County, PA?
    It sure is. Quite a tangle of bush to get to that vantage point though! And the neg was developed in Michael and Paula's darkroom. That's why it was in ABC...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Jeremy, thank you. I respect and enjoy all of my friends work and the processes that they use. I have found that for my work carbon transfer is it for me. Maybe this will change at some point in time but I knew I found my niche when I saw my first carbon print not long ago. Once I master the process to my satisfaction I may try something else. I honestly do not see that happening.

Jim
    Jim,

I've been experimenting with gum lately, a lot of fun and addicting, along with the extreme frustration that goes with dichromated colloids ;-)

I read Sandy's carbon how-to article last night and it does pique my interest. Your prints at the Riverside show were amazing, but I need another process like I need a hole in the head...jack of all trades...hmmm.

But it is fun to play with the chemistry set!

Quote Originally Posted by PViapiano View Post
    Jim,

I've been experimenting with gum lately, a lot of fun and addicting, along with the extreme frustration that goes with dichromated colloids ;-)

I read Sandy's carbon how-to article last night and it does pique my interest. Your prints at the Riverside show were amazing, but I need another process like I need a hole in the head...jack of all trades...hmmm.

But it is fun to play with the chemistry set!
    Paul, that's great that you are finding the time to experiment. I think it is a good idea and you should run with it until you satisfy your interest.

I remember when my son's were little and my wife and I were home schooling them we would always let them run with a subject that interested them. When their curiosity was satisfied we moved on. I have only touched the surface of carbon transfer printing and I NEED to do more. Will I ever satisfy my curiosity? I don't think so. I'm going to follow my own advice and continue to explore the process.

I'm glad you liked my prints at the show. Thanks again for coming out.

Jim

Looking Out From Hoover Dam, 2009. 8" x 10" gum over pt/pd. 4x5 original.

Jeremy,

Most interesting. Besides being a great photo, the new bridge wasn't in the aerial shots I saw just last night on the Travel Channel. You will have to back periodically and document the progress of the bridge.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    Jeremy,

Most interesting. Besides being a great photo, the new bridge wasn't in the aerial shots I saw just last night on the Travel Channel. You will have to back periodically and document the progress of the bridge.
    Wayne, already have plans