Page 311 of 404 FirstFirst ... 211261301309310311312313321361 ... LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,110 of 4031

Thread: post alternative techniques

Re: post alternative techniques

Erik, don't you have to pre-shrink the paper first? And, why do you size it? I've never bothered sizing Arches Platine for gum... What's your reason? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Erik, don't you have to pre-shrink the paper first? And, why do you size it? I've never bothered sizing Arches Platine for gum... What's your reason? Thank you.
    I don't pre shrink the paper Andrew, I dry mount it to aluminum sheet with removable tissue. I used to pre shrink paper, but I find in my workflow that I sometimes washed out the papers size making it difficult to coat with pt/pd without using more solution than I wanted to. I size out of habit, better safe than sorry I guess. It's just what I have evolved to do through trial and error

Hey Erik - what tissue are you using?

Are you sizing with gelatin, and if so are you sizing to stop the gum pigment to sink too deep in the paper.?
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    I don't pre shrink the paper Andrew, I dry mount it to aluminum sheet with removable tissue. I used to pre shrink paper, but I find in my workflow that I sometimes washed out the papers size making it difficult to coat with pt/pd without using more solution than I wanted to. I size out of habit, better safe than sorry I guess. It's just what I have evolved to do through trial and error

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Hey Erik - what tissue are you using?

Are you sizing with gelatin, and if so are you sizing to stop the gum pigment to sink too deep in the paper.?
    Bob, I'm using a roll I bought from Freestyle. It is the Arista brand I believe. To remove the print I just stick it in the dry mount press and pull it out hot and the print peels right off and the tissue stays stuck to the aluminum and I can reuse the tissue stuck to the aluminum for the next print if wanted. I size with gamblin pva diluted 1:2 with water. Yes, it's to keep the pigment from staining the paper.

If you were to do multiple coats I imagine one size with PVA would be required , and not to PVA between each coat.

I am scanning some prints right now to post here of my most recent project

Thanks

Bob

Bob, I'm using a roll I bought from Freestyle. It is the Arista brand I believe. To remove the print I just stick it in the dry mount press and pull it out hot and the print peels right off and the tissue stays stuck to the aluminum and I can reuse the tissue stuck to the aluminum for the next print if wanted. I size with gamblin pva diluted 1:2 with water. Yes, it's to keep the pigment from staining the paper.

Do you hot mount it first to the aluminum or do you cold mount it, then hot mount it to release?

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Do you hot mount it first to the aluminum or do you cold mount it, then hot mount it to release?
    I hot mount it first and hot mount to release. I don't think think this tissue will work any other way.

I pva size after the pt/pd is made but not between gum coats if that is what you mean.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mg1.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	143528Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MG2.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	143529

From an ongoing series - World Heritage Sites - Image courtesy Monica Glitz - Tri Colour Pigment over Palladium

Thanks if you don't mind posting the name I would appreciate it.. I imagine the hot mount goes on at one temp and the release at another temp.
    I assume you are very happy with the paper staying on the aluminum through multiple water baths.

I hot mount it first and hot mount to release. I don't think think this tissue will work any other way.

I pva size after the pt/pd is made but not between gum coats if that is what you mean.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/552050...x-50-yds.-roll

I use the same temp for both mounting and unmounting as my press thermostat is wonky and unreliable. I haven't had the paper unmount during multiple water baths. I've only used it on black aluminum which has a matte surface. I'm not sure how it would work on glossy aluminum. I'm assuming the aluminum I use is enameled, but it might be powder coated?

Those prints are incredible! I'm assuming several gum layers were used with all the different colors being shown? I'm too much a novice at photoshop to separate negs... Your client must be thrilled