Page 18 of 404 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868118 ... LastLast

Thread: post alternative techniques

Re: post alternative techniques

Quote Originally Posted by Jim collum View Post
    Platinum (Ziatype) over color pigment. scans of the prints (11x14)
    WOW! stunning. where can i read more about this process? it looks awesome.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Metcalf View Post
    Collin,
    I looked through Rudman's toning book but didn't see anything on brewing pd/pt toner, and I don't see anything on Photographers Formulary in a kit form. Do you have a good source for mixing up such? thanks. Paul

I make a 15% solution of pd (5g palladium chloride, 3.5 g salt in 55ml of distilled water) To make a liter, put 5ml of this solution in a liter of water with 5g of citric acid. It's a one-shot toner, an ounce being plenty for a 5x12 print. pd chloride is ~$15 a gram from Artcraft, so it's a fairly inexpensive toner really.

Platinum toner I make just the same (5ml solution +5g citric acid/l) but using a 20% solution of potassium chloroplatinite. I didn't see much savings in making the solution myself, so just get the prefab #3 Platinum Solution from Bostick and Sullivan.

BTW, I can't recommend Sany King's kallitype article enough -http://www.alternativephotography.co...kallitype.html A fantastic resource for kallitypes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim collum View Post
    Platinum (Ziatype) over color pigment. scans of the prints (11x14)

Jim, simply stunning.
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

Quote Originally Posted by xmishx View Post
    It was so nice and inspiring when this thread was about photos and not words... If you have to have a discussion about your conflicts, does it have to be here on this thread?

Ted Mishima
    ..but you've added words, not photos. The enemy may not be where we think he is.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post

eddie
    Dan Burkholder was the first to try this. I read an article about it, and reverse-engineered.

The most complicated part is the creation of the digital negative. There are a number of books/sites describing the process... Dan Burkholder has a book, Ron Reeder as well. Mark Nelson has an ebook ( http://www.precisiondigitalnegatives.com/ ) that i've ended up using for curve creation and calibration.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post

eddie
    Pigment over palladium was originally the brain child of Dan Burkholder, though View Camera magazine attributes Ron Reeder as the progenator of this palladium printing variation.

I've been fortunate to see Jim Collum's work first hand - his work is ewxcellent.

Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    Great work Gandolfi- 'just wow' is a nice way to put it.

Here's a platinum toned kallitype

Seeing this I went to your site, and loved your work, Colin. It does more for me when the alternative processes have a shared role in the imagery rather than being the whole story. There's a lot of craft in your work that's happening before the printmaking. Takes it to another level.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Thanks very much John, that really means a lot. It's very gratifying to hear that it comes across that way. I put alot of work into each image and I tend to loose objectivity quickly, so I appreciate the comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post

Ralph Barker wrote:

Discussions of traditional printing processes that have historically been dubbed "alternative processes" (carbon transfer, gum, etc.) are also allowed by the guidelines in either the Darkroom section or the On Photography section, even though they may not be originated from LF negs. Which section would be most appropriate depends on the nature of the discussion. The discussion, however, should be about the printing process (and/or the aesthetics involved), not the method of image capture.
    Given this statement by Ralph Barker I am left with the understanding that the image of a carbon transfer print that was deleted by Kirk Gittings was deleted because I specifically stated that the original capture was made with a Canon G9 digital camera, not due to the fact the original capture was actually made with the Canon G9.

That being the case, I am going to post the image again. It is a 12X17" carbon transfer print made with a 12X17" negative. Fortunately I just happened to have a 12X17" camera loaded with IR film in the highlands of Xalapa, Mexico when this image was made so I am able to substitute it for the earlier one made with a point and shoot camera.

Now, before Kirk deletes this file I suggest that he get with Ralph Barker and the rest of the moderators and come to some coherent understanding of the rules that apply to alternative prints.

Sandy King
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 25-Jul-2009 at 15:41. Reason: same as before

Sandy and Colin,

Thank you for posting your images.. This thread has, by far, some of the most stunning work i've seen in the LF forum. Looking at your images makes me want to take out the camera and shoot

(I hope Sandy's work remains!)

jim