Page 166 of 404 FirstFirst ... 66116156164165166167168176216266 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,660 of 4031

Thread: post alternative techniques

Re: post alternative techniques

Beautiful images Denise. The lith process imparts a timeless feel. You really seem to be getting great use from Foma 100.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Shen45 View Post
    Beautiful images Denise. The lith process imparts a timeless feel. You really seem to be getting great use from Foma 100.

Steve
    Thank you, Shen. I've always loved lith prints, and decided to give a try. Much to improve, though.

And Foma... Well, you know, it's cheap, so I can make my mistakes without ruining myself...

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

First try at salted paper:

8x10 negative on Bergger Cot320 un-toned. I also printed it on Fabriano Aristrico HP and got a similar coloration and a couple of blank spots along the lower egde and a faint "spot" at the very top but not as extensive as those along the LH and top in the Bergger. The bright white spot at the top is from tape that I had used to fasten the paper to the acrilic when coating. Looks promising to me as it gives a similar but different "syntax" than the Vandyke process.

Thomas

I am also working on salt prints atm, mine are more red brown untoned. I am using Hahnmule Bamboo Mixed Media. Canson Montval does not work for me due to some sort of chemical fogging, neither do my gelatin sized carbon papers. Looks like a fun process. Less time consuming than carbon and time is at a premium at the moment. Waiting for a precious delivery of 1g of gold chloride. The prints in Ellie Youngs book on salt printing are nothing short of sensational, it is worth buying for the pictures alone.

Untoned 11x14 salt print on Hahnmule Bamboo Mixed Media. Not heat intensified either, as it goes more black brown in the process.
    Negative is Efke IR without filter, developed in D23.
    Last edited by mdm; 10-Sep-2012 at 17:46.

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    I am also working on salt prints atm, mine are more red brown untoned. I am using Hahnmule Bamboo Mixed Media. Canson Montval does not work for me due to some sort of chemical fogging, neither do my gelatin sized carbon papers. Looks like a fun process. Less time consuming than carbon and time is at a premium at the moment. Waiting for a precious delivery of 1g of gold chloride. The prints in Ellie Youngs book on salt printing are nothing short of sensational, it is worth buying for the pictures alone.
    After a second look, my print is also a light reddish brown but not quite as reddish as in yours above. Also the fortification is lighter but much better in the print...all of which means that I have to
    1. Come up to speed on my scanning and, probably also,
    2. Get a better scanner.

I didn't size either of the papers I printed - just salted them with ammonium chloride. Maybe that's why I got those blank, or almost blank, spots. I have Clerc's 1% gold thiourea mixed but decided not to tone them due to the blank spots. I think next session I'll size the paper also. Maybe that will eliminate the spots.

Yeah, this is a fun process indeed and with the right subject matter will make for a fine looking print. I ordered the Ellie Young book from Amazon a coiuple of minutes ago. Thanks for the heads-up recommendation on that!

Thomas

If you size with food grade gelatin, the SO2 used as a preservative will cause general bronzing, I tried. You need gelatin with no preservative, or arrowroot instead. I cant scan 11x14 so am photographing them.

I have 50gms of "Deionized Ossein 250 Bloom Gelatin" from B&S that I'm going to try. One thing about the Bergger paper is that it doesn't curl when it dries down.

Claudio Santambrogio

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    just salted them with ammonium chloride. Maybe that's why I got those blank, or almost blank, spots.
    I have got a hard time trying to figure out those "blank" spots in my salt printing… I seem to have only seen them when I brush on both salt and silver, never got them when floating. My current suspicion is that they form where there is a surplus *of silver*… But I am not completely sure… Would love somebody with more salting experience to chime in. See below for such an example of white spot - bottom edge and left edge:

Some more info and large image over at Flickr.

According to the troubleshooting chapter in The Salt Print Manual by Ellie Young, white spots are caused by insufficient silver nitrate solution, perhaps that is why you have them on the edges of your print.