Page 117 of 404 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127167217 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 4031

Thread: post alternative techniques

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: post alternative techniques

I've been using Cranes Cover 90LB Wove Finish paper from Photographers Formulary with, as far as I can tell, excellent results. The paper coats well, is "bone dry" after applying a hair dryer on low to the back-side for 10 minutes, and stands up under prolonged washing. I made another print of Coastal Defense posted above that came out superior to the one posted (I had an initial problem with the registration and had to crop off the left end of the scan) and decided to experiment with split toning (blue/yellow) the first attempt. Being my first attempt at toning I took it too far and bleached the earthworks down to a light yellow but the paper held up to two 20 minute washings back to back. I have some Rives 90LB BFK that I haven't tried yet (it's 12X15 and I don't have a 11x14 frame yet) but I am satisfied with the Crane's and will reorder it.

The next historical process on my list is the Kallitype (aka the Van Dyke).

Thomas

Scan of 8x10 Carbon transfer print. Interior of old barn near Osoyoos, BC. The other is the bell tower at Westminster Abbey in Mission, BC.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Andrew, nice! I can feel the texture!

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

Indeed, I can see these are tought to print, but you did it. Well done Andrew!

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I believe some folks even steam their paper before coating (lightly, I believe). I do not do it -- our average RH is 75% and cool so a lack of moisture in the paper is not a issue. So it might be a bigger factor in low RH environments.

What paper are you using? I do not pre-treat COT320, but had to with some watercolor papers. It did help significantly (3 to 5% Oxalic acid). How much (and which) contrast agent are you using?

Wonderful image! Taken in my "backyard", so to speak. Bummer about the lines!

I was up there at Prairie Creek last week -- great Fall yellows! It will be a couple weeks before I can get back up there! The berries should still have some color. The Parkway (road thru the park) is closed right now (fallen trees). Might take a while. Makes it nice to walk up the middle of the road with the 8x10!

Here is an image made last year, but much like it was at Prairie Creek before the rains started today. It is from a scan of an 8x10 carbon print. The yellow leaves dancing around the redwoods are vine maples. Zone VI 8x10 w/ Fuji W 300/5.6 w/ yellow filter. (FP4+, developed in Ilford PQ Universal).

Vaughn
    Hi Vaughn,
    I bet this is an awsome print, I can see everything is in there especially the yellow leaves and the yellow filter does help isn't it? It's oustanding.

Thank you Tri and Jim. The barn print was made with HP5, developed in pyrocat-hd. A combination that I just could not get to work in carbon. I guess all the practicing paid off! The tower was made with FP4, developed in an amidol developer. Unfortunately, the scans are not very good. There is much, much more detail in the prints.

I love bromoil!!
    I love how different results I can get from the same negative...

Here are three images from the same negative (and "all" as an attachment..)

Kristina posed - 13x18cm neg. Gandolfi - eidoscope.

..then:

and then in two colours:

Attachment shows them together with the "original" photo..

Gandolfi,

Wow, these are so beautiful! Could you please detail which paper and what bleach formula you used.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark MacKenzie View Post
    Gandolfi,

Wow, these are so beautiful! Could you please detail which paper and what bleach formula you used.

Thank you!
    of course:

Paper: Zerkall 340g kopper printing paper.
    Liquid emulsion on this paper.

bromoil bleach:
    20g potassium bromide
    20g kopper sulphate
    2g potassiumdichromate.

Emil, this is wonderful. Now I know how shall I spent my darkroom time this weekend - making some bromoils!

PS: I would very much like to see some of your work in person - should you be taking with you something on your next trip to Prague let me know and we could have some beer..
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.