Page 168 of 404 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178218268 ... LastLast
Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 4031

Thread: post alternative techniques

Downstairs

Re: post alternative techniques

[QUOTE=gandolfi;931516]Made a book.....

Gandolfi, Emil, What a wonderful book and what wonderful pictures!

Thank you. It means a lot.

Unfortunately the book is not cheap (size and page numbers, but at least it is there...)

[QUOTE=cjbroadbent;932410]
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    Made a book.....

Gandolfi, Emil, What a wonderful book and what wonderful pictures!

Just saw a few alternative process image in the news.The second is a bit disturbing, but the first one is a great composition in my opinion:

http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/2...s-history?lite

Downstairs

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    ...Unfortunately the book is not cheap...
    Got it. For less than a box of 8x10.

Quote Originally Posted by cjbroadbent View Post
    Got it. For less than a box of 8x10.
    hehe. I like your comparison! Thanks.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Here's the latest results of my experiments with the Salted Paper process:

No streaking or blank spots appear on either print as they did last week. I wonder if last weeks imperfections were the result of applying warm sensitizer to the paper? Yesterday it was cold (room temperature) and I didn't size the paper. Fabriano Aristrico 140lb HP EW doesn't require sizing.

Both prints were toned with a 1% gold thiourea toner that I have mixed for vandykes and kalitypes. The first print above was toned for about 5 minutes and 15 seconds and has a yellow-brown coloration. The second was toned for 8-minutes and has a more subdued yellow-brown tone. Note the two black smudges appearing in the sky (actually three - the third is in the trees at the far right). This print was printed right after the first above and I noticed that the fix blackened somewhat when I poured it onto the print. Both prints were washed for five minutes in running water before fixing for 1.25 minutes in a 10% fix. Any ideas what could have caused this?

BTW, anyone have a idea of how long this sensitizer will last? I've been using a vandyke sensitizer that I first mixed on 1 May and keep at room temperature and as of 2 weks ago it was still good.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Here's the latest results of my experiments with the Salted Paper process:

No streaking or blank spots appear on either print as they did last week. I wonder if last weeks imperfections were the result of applying warm sensitizer to the paper? Yesterday it was cold (room temperature) and I didn't size the paper. Fabriano Aristrico 140lb HP EW doesn't require sizing.

Both prints were toned with a 1% gold thiourea toner that I have mixed for vandykes and kalitypes. The first print above was toned for about 5 minutes and 15 seconds and has a yellow-brown coloration. The second was toned for 8-minutes and has a more subdued yellow-brown tone. Note the two black smudges appearing in the sky (actually three - the third is in the trees at the far right). This print was printed right after the first above and I noticed that the fix blackened somewhat when I poured it onto the print. Both prints were washed for five minutes in running water before fixing for 1.25 minutes in a 10% fix. Any ideas what could have caused this?

BTW, anyone have a idea of how long this sensitizer will last? I've been using a vandyke sensitizer that I first mixed on 1 May and keep at room temperature and as of 2 weks ago it was still good.
    Thomas,

Thanks for sharing your process and progress with the salted paper prints. I'm really enjoying them. This is something I would like to try someday, and it is intriguing to see the results, warts and all, from a modern practitioner.

Jonathan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	heliogravure hfa.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	80614

copperplate heliogravure from 8x10 camera, projection lens, Adox chs 25 negativ, digital interpositive, , Asphalt Aquatinta.
    still trying the process, so critic welcome

Thats beautiful. Its a wonderful process.

Claudio Santambrogio

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    BTW, anyone have a idea of how long this sensitizer will last?
    Hi Thomas, beautiful prints! On the technical side, I am a bit surprised by your very short fixing times - are you sure you are fixing enough? Salt prints require significantly longer fixing than silver gelatin prints, specially since you seem to be using a fairly heavy paper… As for sensitizer shelf-life - have you added a bit of glacial acetic acid? In that case it lasts "forever"… Else you might get some mould at some point, due to organic substances. Of course you'll need to replenish regularly, and when it turns dark bring it to clear in the sun… The important adage being: never waste silver nitrate