Page 208 of 404 FirstFirst ... 108158198206207208209210218258308 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,080 of 4031

Thread: post alternative techniques

Re: post alternative techniques

Joe, I am glad I saw your signature line, website listings. Bellows construction was great and http://www.thorlabs.com/newgrouppage...ctgroup_id=190 is a great source for darkness, as I shortly need to seal my south windows to full dark. I just need a younger man on a ladder for a few hours...

Finally I get to tinfoil my windows!
    A teenage dream come true, for an old man.

Thanks Joe!

And will I tell Tri, again, what a marvelous image. These images inspire all of us to carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smigiel View Post
    Tri,

This is absolutely marvelous. Words fail. It reminds me of favorite photographs from ca. 1907 Camera Work. What a sense of presence she has here. It's a treasure.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tri Tran View Post
    Thanks Andreios, they are fun to work with but sometime it could be challenging. At age 5-10 I usually get them involve with my tool . Once they are comfortable , I'm sure you will have get some nice shots of them. I have smiling face sticker and a little mirror put in front of my camera for them to look at . It works like a charm.
    Thank you, Tri, for sharing your "know how"! Will definitely try the sticker & mirror method, once they are in suitable age. (The eldest of our three "hobbits" has only just turned 4... )
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

Don't want to start a thread for this. I started trying palladium prints again and forgot I was using my last piece of Arches Platine. The image looked so much better than my Kallitypes, very smooth. But when I went to try the same negative on Stonehenge I get terrible results. Very grainy and almost blotchy and only half the image formed even with twice the exposure. The same thing happened last year when I tried Kallitypes on Stonehenge. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't really want to just throw away 7 large pieces of paper. Should have just stuck with Platine. Papers were coated the same way with a brush and same chemicals.

Any help is appreciated.
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

Hello,

My first time seeing this post. Allways love to see alternative techniques...
    There are some excelent examples here.
    Sure learning a lot from you all. It's been a plesure this first times in the forum.

Regards
    Tiago

Quote Originally Posted by Zaitz View Post
    Don't want to start a thread for this. I started trying palladium prints again and forgot I was using my last piece of Arches Platine. The image looked so much better than my Kallitypes, very smooth. But when I went to try the same negative on Stonehenge I get terrible results. Very grainy and almost blotchy and only half the image formed even with twice the exposure. The same thing happened last year when I tried Kallitypes on Stonehenge. Anyone have any suggestions? I don't really want to just throw away 7 large pieces of paper. Should have just stuck with Platine. Papers were coated the same way with a brush and same chemicals.

Any help is appreciated.
    I have a hard time telling which side is which on Stonehenge; perhaps you used the wrong side? It's not as good as Arches Platine, but it should be pretty good.

A little presoak in 2% oxalic acid should help the Stonehenge paper for palladium printing. It's a buffered paper. Fumed silica would also work.

I have some Arches Aquarelle that seems to be pretty bad for kallitypes (at least my batch) - after some research I decided to try to acidify the paper (in oxalic acid).
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

I made this platinum print last week-end while giving a workshop in Pt/pd printing in Hayward, CA.

Printed just most of the center of the image area of an 11x14 camera negative.

My Boys at 15, Luffenholtz Beach, 2012
    11x14 camera, 270mm Computar
    FP4+

I'll be returning to Hayward (PhotoCentral) to teach a carbon printing on June 1&2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1 Boys_Luffenholtz.jpg  

I have set my self a daunting challenge:

A month ago my school had the Danish Minister of Culture up here for an official opening of a school dormitory..

I managed to get her to sit for me - I had 15min so I took four images using my Gandolfi (13x18)

I wanted to make her a portrait in bromoil - and I chose two of the motives.

Three images are now almost done (there might be some slight changes to finish them)...

Size is 50x70cm (20x27" ca)

I LOVE bromoil as it is the most versitale technique I know of - it is photography mixed with painting, and that presents its own challenges: When to stop - how much "photography" and how much (if any) "painting"...?

"Explanation" on the multicoloured one: The political colours here in Denmark is red for the left wing, and blue for the right wing...
    She belongs to a party right in the middle of those to; maybe leaning towards the blue..

So I chose red and blue for the colours but then added some warmth as she is a rather warm person...

The warm image is the same neg as the coloured one - wanted to try and make a more inviting image here...

The darkest image is made so she is looking a little down at us - she is a small person, and too often we see her looking up for journalists..
    (Maybe she now looks a little too much as a witch from a Harry Potter movie... - maybe just strong..)

I have a fourth image waiting for me to start on - this is a lot of work, but it is SO much fun...
    Whether I'd ever get the nerve to present them to her, is a totally other matter....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails marianne-jelved.jpg   mj.jpg   marianne-jelved4.jpg  

Very interesting, both the backstory and technique.

I find the first more flattering.

I anxiously await #4.

Great work.

Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    I have set my self a daunting challenge:

A month ago my school had the Danish Minister of Culture up here for an official opening of a school dormitory..

I managed to get her to sit for me - I had 15min so I took four images using my Gandolfi (13x18)

I wanted to make her a portrait in bromoil - and I chose two of the motives.

Three images are now almost done (there might be some slight changes to finish them)...

Size is 50x70cm (20x27" ca)

I LOVE bromoil as it is the most versitale technique I know of - it is photography mixed with painting, and that presents its own challenges: When to stop - how much "photography" and how much (if any) "painting"...?

"Explanation" on the multicoloured one: The political colours here in Denmark is red for the left wing, and blue for the right wing...
    She belongs to a party right in the middle of those to; maybe leaning towards the blue..

So I chose red and blue for the colours but then added some warmth as she is a rather warm person...

The warm image is the same neg as the coloured one - wanted to try and make a more inviting image here...

The darkest image is made so she is looking a little down at us - she is a small person, and too often we see her looking up for journalists..
    (Maybe she now looks a little too much as a witch from a Harry Potter movie... - maybe just strong..)

I have a fourth image waiting for me to start on - this is a lot of work, but it is SO much fun...
    Whether I'd ever get the nerve to present them to her, is a totally other matter....
    Tin Can