Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help buying x ray film

Help buying x ray film

hey all,

i am going to buy some x ray film to use in my 11x14 camera. a few questions.

i shoot wet plate collodion, which is blue light sensitive. should i get the blue x ray film? will i get similar results to my WPC stuff? if so which one? 1/2 speed or full speed?

what about the green? that is ortho stuff right?

which is better IYO? any times and temps for the blue stuff? i got info on the green from a friend.

thanks.

eddie

ps. what about the x ray fixer. same stuff? much cheaper as well. the msds data is a bit different that kodak fixer. worth it?
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Re: Help buying x ray film

Eddie,

I use the CXS (aka Konica or Physicians' Choice) green. I recently tried the blue, and wasn't particularly happy with it. Others will probably disagree. I just didn't find it particularly pleasant--I found the tones rather "empty"--nothing like the full tonal rendition of WP. While the green has its problems and I find the tonality to be lacking at times, I do find it easier to use than the blue. The color/tone renditions between blue sensitive xray and WP are noticeably different, I am not exactly sure why. Anyhow, the artifacts of WP create something which other blue sensitive/color blind films (I am not completely sure if these are the same thing) can't duplicate.

I have been using Rodinal 1:200 at 68F for about 7:30 in a tray for kallitypes.

thanks jason.

this helps. maybe i will stick to the green....makes my order smaller anyway. anyone else have a different experience?

CXS is what i will be getting.

eddie

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    Eddie,

I use the CXS (aka Konica or Physicians' Choice) green. I recently tried the blue, and wasn't particularly happy with it. Others will probably disagree. I just didn't find it particularly pleasant--I found the tones rather "empty"--nothing like the full tonal rendition of WP. While the green has its problems and I find the tonality to be lacking at times, I do find it easier to use than the blue. The color/tone renditions between blue sensitive xray and WP are noticeably different, I am not exactly sure why. Anyhow, the artifacts of WP create something which other blue sensitive/color blind films (I am not completely sure if these are the same thing) can't duplicate.

I have been using Rodinal 1:200 at 68F for about 7:30 in a tray for kallitypes.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

The Blue and the Green sensitive X-ray films look different than Wet Plate because they have some sensitivity to light in other color areas than Wet Plate does. I can't explain it, but with any process, you get to "know" your materials and work to their strengths.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Eddie, I think I posted this image somewhere else on here. I shot this with the 11x14 green sensitive x-ray film. This happens to be McKesson film. Expired in'08. developed in pyrocat-hd 1:1:200 printed on Azo. I hope this gives you a visual clue. My son had on a light green jacket and this was shot in diffused daylight in the redwoods.

Jim

I ordered both blue and green CSX having never tried it before. Can anyone suggest starting ISO's for each of these? Thanks.

Try 50 for the green and 200 for the full speed blue.

Jason, thanks for the starting points.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

The image I posted was shot at ISO 100 on the green film.

Jim

Thanks, it is hard to fault your exposure. In fact it was this shot that caught my attention in the first place.

I am assuming there are a number of variables that need to be taken into account, e.g., development, subject material and quality of light (not that these don't come into play with regular film). I have a ton of Rodinol and will be start with it.