Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flash for LF

Jiri Hauser

Flash for LF

Hello All,

what flash unit do you use? Recently, I have watched Daniel Buck's blog. He is using old flash unit with Speed Graphic camera, which looks great on the picture.
    I am thinking about having one, but I would like to know more about advantages or disadvantages of it.
    My Metz 45CL ran out of life completely due to collapse of charger.

Thanks for any opinions.

Re: Flash for LF

Basicly you can run any flash on LF as long as the shutter has a sync for it.

The older flashes can have their problems aswell: the large capasitors that storage the power for the flash can run out of life and are not alway's so easy to replace.

Sometimes the chargers for the Metz come up on ebay, you might be better off with a new charger.

And please be adviced that if you have digital, as many of us, you can not use old flashes onto them due to the high sync voltage that fry those camera's.

Peter

You can get replacement batteries or chargers for your Metz at KHB in Toronto:
    http://www.khbphotografix.com/
    They also have all kinds of adaptors for various flash/lens combinations, and if they don't have it they'll make it.
    Also, I have to correct Peter, you can use your flashes with digicams; you need to trigger the flash by infrared/radio trigger, or some other kind of wireless device. As long as you're not plugging a PC cord into your camera via an older flash system, it'll be fine.
    Modern lighting units and powerpacks are digi-compatible.
    As for which flash to use with LF, anything you can sync to the lens; it's personal preference.
    I use 2000W of Dynalites, a Metz 60 CT-1, or a Sunpak ring flash; still, I shoot with daylight about 95% of the time.
    Good luck.
    Ari

Jiri Hauser

SO are there any PROs to go for old flash unit ( they fit well to old design of the camera ). ?

Old flash if it's for display. New flash if you actually want to shoot with it.

You can also run some of the wireless flash systems with any LF lens with the x-sync connection, such as Pocket Wizards, which with their x-sync connection are flash independent, as long as the flash(es) have the external sync connection
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Jiri Hauser

Quote Originally Posted by bensyverson View Post
    Old flash if it's for display. New flash if you actually want to shoot with it.
    yes, I agree with that, just wanted to hear it. :-) thanks.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

That's one opinion... here's another. I actually still shoot with flash bulbs on more than a rare occasion.

The argument for using old style flash bulbs is when you have a very large area you want to light, and do not have a source of power. Flash bulbs can create a huge amount of light with a fairly long duration (compared to strobes). The downsides are they are one shot only, a little fragile, often very hot after they fire, and you can only carry so many of them.

Usually I go with a Nikon Speedlight, like the SB27 (very compact and powerful), run a sync cord to the shutter, and use additional Speedlights on slave settings. So I have a bag full of SB26 Speedlights that I carry around when I need them. I also have an SU-4 set-up and an SB25, which can function as slave unit. All this was a package I set-up after reading about a few traveling professionals that used similar set-ups. The manual or full power settings are very accurate and consistent, and I simply check my Sekonic L-358 for the proper settings for each scene. I have found this simpler than constantly renting lights at each location, or having to deal with finding power sources for monolights. I still use more studio oriented lights at outside or remote locations, but not when I have to fly to get there.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

I adapted my Metz camera flash to my Speed Graphic a number of years ago. I used a couple of spare flash sync cords, cut and wired back together to fit the connectors, and it works great, nothing as fancy as the guy above though!
    Keith