Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wide Field Ektar

Wide Field Ektar

I need a 240-250 lens for black and white-8x10.These W.F. ektars look interesting,but I would like to know what there formula is and how they are for black and white-contact print.If price means any thing they don,t seem to command much respect. Like to hear about the 250 f6.3 W.F.-Alan

Re: Wide Field Ektar

You can't go wrong with a 250 Wide Field Ektar. It worked well for AA and a legion of others. Joel Meyerowitz's images in his Cape Light series were made with one of these lenses on an 8x10 Deardorff. Double-Gauss formula is sharp and has enough coverage for 11x14. Early single coating is soft and it's virtually impossible to find one without coating scratches. Mine has quite a few coating scratches on the front element, but the lens is still sharp and respectably contrasty. Not sure what your concern about price/desirability means. Prices seem to hang in the $400 - $600 range generally. The Ilex #5 shutter is large which may or may not be a deterrent as there are other lenses in the focal length range with multi-coating and smaller shutters (but typically slower max apertures). But as I said, you really can't go wrong.

I have a 250 WFE. As Will points out, it's hard to find one these days that doesn't have lots of what's euphemistically known as "cleaning marks", though they do still exist. The Ilex #5 is big and heavy, and as I recall doesn't stop down beyond f/45. Or at least it's only marked that far; I don't recall if the lever will travel further.

The WFE is an air-spaced double Gauss. If you get one in good condition it's a very competent lens, with an old-timey, low-contrast look. It records plenty enough detail for excellent contact prints. Cape Light, even in reproduction, gives a pretty good feel for its imaging character, allowing for the need to let your imagination translate from color to B&W. It's a bit too flat and flarey for my taste, though; for most purposes I'm happier with my 240 Apo-Sironar-S.

One downside to the old Ilexes (and other big guys) is that the maximum realistic speed is only 1/50th second, so if you shoot wide-open in daylight it forces you into Neutral Density filters.... they are reliable shutters, just not ideal.

A modern Copal 3 goes to 1/125 and there are gobs of used Schneider and Rodenstock 240/5.6 Symmars and Sironar-Ns. They aren't ideal for a lot of extra coverage but you see them go for $300-400 all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    A modern Copal 3 goes to 1/125 and there are gobs of used Schneider and Rodenstock 240/5.6 Symmars and Sironar-Ns. They aren't ideal for a lot of extra coverage but you see them go for $300-400 all the time.
    I'll second that. I had the opportunity to test the 240 Apo-Sironar-N before buying the S. It's a very fine lens in its own right. Although coverage is less than with the S, it's still enough to be practical for 8x10. And under the Sironar-N MC (without the "Apo") or Caltar II-N labels, you can often find a clean one very cheap. The Symmar-S would be the lens of comparable vintage from Schneider.

I have the 240mm Symmar-S and it's a great lens for a bargain price, but you don't get much in the way of movements on 8x10. The WF Ektar has substantially more coverage. I'd love to get one, but they're not exactly bargain lenses--I wish it got less respect.

They get a lot of respect. I will have to give some thought to the shutter speeds.It would look good on my C-5.I want to shoot midwinter snow storms and other low light projects this winter,it would be fine for that,plus I like the oldtime look.But I will consider others recommended here. thanks for the info-Alan

I've got a 250 WF Ektar and I can't imagine being without one. I also have a 240 G Claron and while it might seem absurd to have two lenses so close together I find they really are two different critters:
    250 WF is in an Ilex Universal which requires a "long throw" cable release to fire the shutter
    (I find Gepes work well for this) I use Lee Gel Snap filters on it since I haven't found a press on filter adapter that will fit. It is a big heavy lens, but it has a dreamy look to my contacts--sharp and detailed yet very creamy, if that is the right word to use. I like how it captures sunlight glinting off a brook in an intimate landscape or youthful skin in portraits. It also has lots of coverage. It opens up wide for focusing too.
    The 240 G Claron is in a modern Copal, accespts a standard cable release and the filters from my old Nikon SLR fit it, It is small, lightwieght and is my go to lens if I have to carry my kit any great distance. It only opens up to f/9 for focusing and while it dosen't have a huge image circle, that has never presented itself as a problem (nor has focusing at f/9 been a problem) The feeling is different though. The G Claron is brutally sharp---Ihe old WF bests it for some types of skin and some kinds of more intimate landscapes.
    YMMV of course.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

John the 250 sounds like the one that will do the job.The smooth creamy transitions are what I want to see. My non coated 14 inch dagor does the same thing. The ravor sharp lenses that I licked so well in smaller formats don,t impress me in 8x10.

Quote Originally Posted by alan-salsman View Post
    John the 250 sounds like the one that will do the job.The smooth creamy transitions are what I want to see. My non coated 14 inch dagor does the same thing. The ravor sharp lenses that I licked so well in smaller formats don,t impress me in 8x10.

Hi Alan - a good choice - they're not cheap as you know - Jeff at Badger Graphics has (fyi,) one for sale at the moment

regards

andrew