Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: May/June View Camera

Re: May/June View Camera

I'm in Northern California. Just got back from lunch. Picked up a copy of the May/Jun issue at Barnes & Noble bookstore.

Octogenarian

Wm McEwen,

FYI, Steve has been publishing View Camera for more than two decades, now.

I can fully understand why he is beginning to feel a little burned out.

At least Steve knows the ins and outs of operating a view camera. Can't say the same for David Spivak.

BTW, David, I'm sure you have heard the expression "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones".

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Wm McEwen,

FYI, Steve has been publishing View Camera for more than two decades, now.

I can fully understand why he is beginning to feel a little burned out.
    I'm sure Steve is like the rest of us -- would like to spend time photographing and NOT have to worry about making money...

I've had enough friends find out and learn about LF Photography from View Camera that it would be a tremendous loss to have this magazine disappear. Of course, if it did, then the threads would simply change to a load of whining about how the publishing industry won't support LF Photography.

No pleasing some people!

Hopefully the mods will delete these ridiculous bi-monthly threads as they appear.

As a newbie interested in LF, I must agree with some of the other posters. This is the second post I've seen this year concerning Simmons and VC issues. VC seems to be the only game in town when it comes to LF. There's so much stuff out there on digital to be almost disgusting.

Those in the glass houses keep throwing rocks -- but no one is stepping up to the plate. As professional or semi-professional photographers, you're probably hyper-critical when it comes to quality. But instead of throwing the rocks, come up with an alternative solution, or an alternative product.

Newbies like me need to have LF outlets and resources. As one person put it: "I've tried digital and it just doesn't work for me -- I need something I can hold in my hands."

Ya gotta promote the artform. If not for yourselves, then for those newbies like myself that hunger for LF material. Maybe buy the guy out and take over and form a cooperative publication. C'mon, somebody out there must have some positive constructive ideas -- it can't be all negative.

Glad to have you as a newcomer to LF!

Complaints and negativity? Yes, it's here.

Just mention the name RON WISNER and see what happens!

My issue arrived yesterday (6july). I was taken with the photograph of the plutonium locker at Loring Air Force Base. I served at Loring in '61&'62. As the base oral surgeon my clearance did not allow me access to the nuclear facility. I was friendly with the major in charge of the unit. He was a PHD in nuclear physics, paid for by the Air Force.
    He resigned his commission when ordered to go to Viet Nam as a helicopter instructor, to train ROK pilots. The last time he flew a helicopter was when he was 19. Some genius in the pentagon found his pilots license in his file and sent the orders. He tried to explain that he was not current and that he was one of very phd's trained to maintain the nukes on the B52 SAC bases. The Pentagon insisted so he did the only thing he could.

At any rate the photo did bring back memories of Loring AFB. ( that was in Limestone Maine.) I never want to experiance temperatures of 45 degrees Farenheit again.

Just spent a few minutes browsing through the pages: Oh Man! Humma Humma!

The images by Rabbi Yaakov are awesome, and Keith Taylor's three color gum print -- oh lordy-lord !

Hey don't mind me, I'm just a newbie - wadda I know from quality.

[QUOTE=

At any rate the photo did bring back memories of Loring AFB. ( that was in Limestone Maine.) I never want to experiance temperatures of 45 degrees Farenheit again.[/QUOTE]

I'm confused Barry. Do you think 45F is too hot, or too cold?

I have subscribed for four years now and I find the current issue to be one of the best from that period. The layout and quality of reproductions are fine.

Mine arrived today.