Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: May/June View Camera

Re: May/June View Camera

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hutton View Post
    It's at my local Borders - unbelievably poor in just about every way IMO - the photographs for the Chamonix whole plate review are the worst published reproductions of photographs I have ever seen anywhere! And there's the odd half column of text missing here and there too... I suspect we're getting to the end of the lifecycle.
    How do Rabbi Sinclair's reproductions look? I just checked two of my local newsstands and they still have April.........

Don't be greedy -- it's only July, you know.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Octogenarian

Scott,

Not only a "pain in the intestine", but a PITY that I need to repeat that drill with every issue.

I probably won't renew my subscription.

BTW, Rabbi Sinclair's photos reproduced vert nicely, and his article was well written.

.... the photographs for the Chamonix whole plate review are the worst published reproductions of photographs I have ever seen anywhere! And there's the odd half column of text missing here and there too... .
    I think so.

If you or anyone is interested in the original Chamonix Whole Plate review article, feel free to send an email and I'll send the pdf or .doc file to you.

Kind regards,

RJ

Whole Plate Column

Uh oh.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Well considering the alternative (NONE), it's a good thing it's still breathing in my opinion.

With the small circulation, its a wonder it comes out as good as it does.

I do think it is a resource for the community just as this forum/web site is. Film, especially large format needs all the buzz it can get. It maintains the resale value of our equipment to a degree. Articles on digital abound and make it sound like the second coming (not). We need press.

I have never had any dealings with Steve, but this entire community is opinionated and it would be a shame to loose View Camera mag. I have issues going back 10+ years and I reread them frequently. I always seem to find a nugget.

bob

I agree with Hutton: I think this magazine is about to die. I would not invest in a multi-year subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McCarthy View Post
    Well considering the alternative (NONE), it's a good thing it's still breathing in my opinion.

With the small circulation, its a wonder it comes out as good as it does. . .

bob
    I have to agree that this is the only game in town and I find it plenty good enough compared to nothing. The Fred Picker Zone VI Newsletter was nothing slick and spiffy, yet it contained a lot of good information. For those that continually complain, why don’t you start your own magazine?

For your general information, the March/April pass word still gets you into the subscriber’s section as of a few minutes ago. The Forum has been unavailable for several weeks and is still off line. All I get is a “General Error SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]” and have for some time now.

B Dalton

Dallas -- As of July 6, Barnes and Noble still has only the March/April issue.

It's at my local Borders - unbelievably poor in just about every way IMO - the photographs for the Chamonix whole plate review are the worst published reproductions of photographs I have ever seen anywhere! And there's the odd half column of text missing here and there too... I suspect we're getting to the end of the lifecycle.
    Might you be describing the March/April issue?