Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Large Format Shooters... MF as backup?

Re: Large Format Shooters... MF as backup?

A Hassie never has been my camera, so I bought a Rollei SL 66, that I love.
    I allso have a Mamiya RB 67 that I will start using when I am back in Holland again and a Rolleiflex 2.8F, besides my DSRL's with (almost) all the lenses that I need for my work in Brazil.

And giving up my beloved 4x5/8x10 for a camera that I don't need anyway ? NOPE
    Hell, I just got me a Shen Hao HZX45-IIA to my Sinar P2 !

Peter

No. I am not fond of the square format. I have an RZ67 but don't use it as a backup. I have 4x5, 8x10 that are proportionally similar in shape. I then go wide rather than square with 7x17.

For back up I prefer to shoot a second sheet of film, bracketing the exposure to increase my odds of a good print and have a close backup in case I mess up the first negative.

As I have done, do what makes you feel good. If you want a hassie, get the hassie.

John

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

When I shoot LF I don't generally bring a backup, but when I do it is a 35mm.

When I shoot MF I don't generally bring a backup, but when I do it is a 35mm.

As for the Hassy vs anything else discussion...

but since you asked: sure, why not. It's a great camera. There are lighter and easier to use MF cameras but you won't be disappointed if you get a good condition Hasselblad and use it on a tripod.

Hi Capo,

Hi Capo,
    Something to consider also is a compact 6x9 rail camera as a secondary
    or sometimes primary rig. I use an Arca 6x9 with a folding rail and a range
    of lenses from 75-200 including a 120 Nikkor Macro. Also a nice format
    size for many of the scenes I shoot.

Warren Clark
    Ft Collins,Colo.

I have a Zone VI 4x5 and a Hassy setup. It's always one or the other, never both.

Mike

When I carry the LF kit, I rarely carry anything like a back up. Occasionally, I'll throw a nikon body and 28mm lens in the bag but just to use to document the set up. I have a roll film back for the crown graphic but don't, at present, own a Medium Format camera of any type and don't think I'd get into a 'blad system - I don't like the square format.

I have a 503CW that I take with me when traveling, not as a backup to large format, but very handy for some situations where large format is not practical. I am occasionally on the road for up to two months at a time and sometimes find I need a smaller format.

Used Hasselblad C T* and CF lenses can be found at reasonable prices and are fine optics. There are many other medium format choices that would serve my needs just as well as the Hassey, but I got mine at a good price and have been happy with the results I get with it. It is all about personal choice. If you like the format and the way the Hassey handles, then it is a great camera.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny View Post
    the question is, "if you had the chance to augment your LF gear with a Blad... would you do so?"
    If I had the chance to purchase a Blad at a decent price, I'd probably do so, if only because Hasselblad was synonymous with high-end for so long.

But honestly: MF as backup? for your 8x10? That'd be like carrying a 38 Special as a backup when you're hunting grizzly bear. It won't do a damn thing to the bear except make him madder, but you can always use it on yourself first.

Get the Blad because it's a Blad. Period. Nice toy.

I do not consider MF to be backup for another format, simply a very different tool. I almost always have a MF camera with me, along with the large format camera(s). There are times when a large format camera is not the tool for the job. I can not speak about the Hassy, but my favorite MF is the Rollei SL 66. One need not necessarily print full frame, my MF prints are closer to the 8x10 proportion.

To answer to your question, yes, take the MF along to capture what you can not with large format.
    Last edited by Merg Ross; 5-Jul-2009 at 20:10.