Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stolen equipment

Re: Stolen equipment

So sorry to hear this Donald...there has been a rash of break-ins in my neighborhood recently and unfortunately it's a sign of our economic times that these are increasing.

I'm very sorry to hear about this and can only hope that the perpetrator is caught and the stolen items eventually recovered.

I certainly sympathize. I have nothing to suggest for the stolen equipment but for the future - it's not unusual for people who steal this kind of stuff to wait about five or six months - just long enough for their victims to collect the insurance money and replace the stolen gear - then come back and steal the replacement stuff. I had one friend who was robbed of valuable audio gear three different times in the space of a year or so. Obviously the thieves had him on a list and as soon as they figured he had replaced what they stole the first time they broke in and stole the replacements - twice. I'm probably not giving you any advice you haven't already thought of but try to secure the replacement camera, musical instruments, etc. in as safe a way as possible because there's a good chance they'll hit you again.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Sorry about your huge loss Donald. This is a rather large collection and would be almost impossible to replace.
    I hope you do have serial numbers on most items which can help locate some of the stuff when it hits the market somehow.

Words can't express how I feel about this, My god what's a guy to do build a bomb shelter to keep your property safe? It's beyond belief, I hope they can be tracked down and dealt with.

Sorry Donald, hope it gets resolved as well as possible and the crooks get caught and convicted.

Very sorry to hear of your monumental losses. I hope the police can track them down and recover your stolen items. Keep checking ebay and craig's list. I was able to recover a stolen enlarger that way. Best of luck to you.

Unhappy Re: Stolen equipment

Yikes! I hope that you are able to recover from this.

I'm really sorry to hear this Donald. Let us know what else we can do to help.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

As an aside, perhaps a link or a sticky thread about the ins and outs of insuring equipment for pros and amateurs would be good.
    And include safe home storage of equipment, it may be the trip to the store or a trip out of the country, it can happen anytime. I like the steel door but talking to a fire fighter I learned that the door is just a go around obstacle. He told me that well prepared burglars use a gas hand held saw and go in from the outside buy cutting a hole in the house. A safe room with re-bar and cement would be the only way to slow them down, along with an alarm. Think of a roof, some are only 1/2" plywood with a course of shingles, easy to cut a hole, drop down and open from the inside out. Windows are another weak point as are doors with poor locks. I figure they will get in and that's why a safe that can't be carried out or broken into might be the best solution, as long as you use it.