Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ULF Tripod Options

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: ULF Tripod Options

Quote Originally Posted by Archphoto View Post
    Jim, it shure looks good, please place a some more pictures so we all can ....... over what you made.

On my shoppinglist: more, more Brazil Wood: first for the camera, then for the tripod.......

And you are completely right: if you have a beautifull wooden camera a wooden tripod belongs to it !

Peter
    Peter, here is a couple more. I had some of the nice folks on here send me some close up images of the cam lock system and I just made it the best I could out of Walnut. It is not the best looking but it sure does lock the tripod down tight. This is the one I use for my 8x20. I still need to get a better connection from the yolk to the Majestic head. I'll get that figured out eventually.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Almost forgot this one. I thought I had a shot of the tripod I built for the 11x14. Yes I'm nuts, I have dedicated Walnut tripods for each one of my ULF cameras. What the hell, ignore my ugly mug and check out the camera and tripod. You can not have a nice wooden camera on anything but a wooden tripod! But I am prejudice I guess!
    Tripods are not that hard to build. The 11x14 has the Gitzo head and is about 12 lbs. Not lightweight but very, very sturdy. I did change the design a bit and I eliminated the cam lock on this one.

Jim

Thanks for the advice. A Ries would be first choice, but a Berlebach Uni with a chain would be a much cheaper alternative(ie more money for film, pt/pd supplies).

Though they look really nice, there is no way I could make a tripod, my wood working skills are little, none and zilch.

I need to sleep on this for a couple of days then make up my mind. This Korona is crying for use, but can't do that until I get something to put it on.

Blumine

If you have any vision of shooting in windy / otherwise inclimate weather, then go with the heavier tripod. My 30 pound 11x14 Wisner is absolutely still in 30mph wind when anchored to my Ries A100 with the A250 tilt head. A few times, that's been useful. But if you don't plan on shooting that way, go as light as you can!

--A

Quote Originally Posted by alec4444 View Post
    If you have any vision of shooting in windy / otherwise inclimate weather, then go with the heavier tripod. My 30 pound 11x14 Wisner is absolutely still in 30mph wind when anchored to my Ries A100 with the A250 tilt head. A few times, that's been useful. But if you don't plan on shooting that way, go as light as you can!

--A
    Alec,

If I may ask which Ries A100 do you have, the plain old A100 or the A100-2?

Thanks for the reply.

Blumine