Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ULF Tripod Options

ULF Tripod Options

I had pretty much settled upon a large Berlebach UNI series tripod for my new (to me) Korona 11x14. Then I started thinking about the weight of all this stuff. I dont have a scale here, but my guess is the Korona, lens and film holder are close to 20 pounds, add that to 15+ pounds of tripod and 3 pounds of Arca B2 ball head and its getting really heavy very fast.

So here I am back to ground zero, pondering if I should just buy a big old Gitzo Carbon like a GT5541LS. The price is not much higher than a Ries, though it s more than a Berlebach. But the weight is about half, my only concern is how good a job is does of dampening vibration versus one of the wooden tripods.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Blumine

SF Bay Area 94303

Re: ULF Tripod Options

Seem to me by the time it gets that heavy the weight is not an issue. You aren't going to be all that far from the car/truck. A good majestic tripod with the geared aircraft carrier platform head would work great. Mine is only 19 lb. One way to eliminate the weight of the head is to not use one. Read what Mr. Ritter has to say about this method of weight saving. Of course using one his cameras would shave off more weight. KFry

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I use a Ries with my 11x14 B&J, which outweighs the Korona, with no complaints. I think the Ries is wonderfully practical and aesthetically beautiful, especially under an old wooden camera...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I use my hand made Walnut tripod with a Gitzo 1570M low profile head and I love it. My Walnut 11x14 sits on top and the camera is 16lbs and the tripod with the head is 12lbs. I put the camera in a backpack and carry the tripod and I'm good to go. Not light and I don't hike as far as I used to but I can still go a few miles with it at altitude.

Jim

I can put my 8x10 and 300-series Gitzo tripod over my shoulder and easily walk, but there is no way I can do this with my 11x14. My very big sturdy tripod was bought at a yard sale with a 35mm movie camera from the 1950s ($25!). The head alone weighs more than my 11x14. While it is incredibly solid (I can easily stand on the tripod), the weight makes it difficult to move the camera at all, and I often take the camera off the tripod just to move it across the yard. For this reason I think keeping the weight down is important. If I were going to use my 11x14 outside of my house or studio (which I don't) I would seriously consider a carbon fiber tripod.

I agree with the previous post...the weight of your gear pretty much negates worrying about tripod weight. People have suggested using a 3-wheeled baby stroller, the big spoked wheel kind, for moving heavy gear. I bought a Ries J 100-2 with a custom extra-long legs after my Hassy almost blew over. It was on a lightweight metal tripod.

Obviously a Ries is not a tripod that I would want to carry on my back. But with your giant sail of a camera, I'd want a giant tripod.

The BIG overlooked advantage of the Ries over any other tripod I know is the design of the leg lock down, which is part of the crown assembly. It forms a triangle of sorts with the leg pivot, which GREATLY stiffens the whole thing through mechanical advantage. Look here to see what I'm talking about. There's no bump stop to flex around (gitzo and most other brands) or a simple squeezing tightener on the pivot (like on the Uni) to lock it down. Once you tighten the lug, it ain't moving.

However, I suppose if you also want to use the tripod for hiking with lighter gear, you could get the CF and weigh it down with sand/rocks with one of those bags that attach underneath. But if weight is no concern, the Ries is king.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

You can always build the same thing. I did just that for my 8x20 tripod. I modified the tri-lock system for my Walnut tripod. I had to build it out of Walnut. It works like a charm and is very solid.

Jim

Jim, it shure looks good, please place a some more pictures so we all can ....... over what you made.

On my shoppinglist: more, more Brazil Wood: first for the camera, then for the tripod.......

And you are completely right: if you have a beautifull wooden camera a wooden tripod belongs to it !

Peter

"There's no bump stop to flex around (gitzo and most other brands) or a simple squeezing tightener on the pivot (like on the Uni) to lock it down"

with the older berlebach uni you use a chain! the angel of the legspread is adjustable. it's a very straightforward solution. weightless indestructable simpel.
    cheers, boris

Downstairs

Once more into the fray. If you shoot level, get a real used video tripod with leg braces and cup and half sphere leveling and just add a pan plate. Arri does it in wood, Vinten in carbon and Manfrotto in alu.