Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ulf Quick Release Solution Needed

Ulf Quick Release Solution Needed

Greetings,

I've taken delivery of 16x20 Chamonix camera. [and BTW, it's a real beauty!].
    The challenge is this one: to find a quick release setup: plate and clamp system sturdy enough to handle this camera.

The tripods are either a Ries A100 or J100; and a 5-series Gitzo. Thus far, I've come up with the following possible setup: 2 RRS smaller clamps attached to either a Gitzo low profile head, together with the 6" RRS sliding bar (MPR152) screwed into the base of the Chamonix; or, just a straight attachment to the Ries.

This setup with the Gitzo is ok, but the head does wobble a bit. To be honest, I'd rather use the Ries but would not like to use it without some clamping system.

Any suggestions out there? Has anyone using ULF come up with a solution?

BTW, the total weight--camera, filmholder, lens-- is approx. 36--37 lbs.

Thanks in advance,

BILL

Montreal , Canada. Los Angeles, California

Re: Ulf Quick Release Solution Needed

Hi Bill,
    Congratulation!The Bogen 3039 will do the job for you. It's light, cheap ,strong and easy to use. So far I have no problem with it, far better anything I've used . You just have to play with the head positions when you snap the camera on or take it down. The extra monopod for the front tilt under focusing bed is recomended for strong wind but I rarely use it. I beleived Hass pre drilled a few holes extra under it. You might consider to custome order a backpack. Enjoy.

Best,
    TT

i just can't praise enought this head with the exellent quick release. especially with bold and heavy camers.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications
    3,4kg. german-heavy-metal
    boris

Hi Bill,
    I agree that finding a QR for ULF is a challenge.

I use the manfrotto/Bogen hex plate. BUT, I've made some modifications, and I had a lucky find.

The hex plate is screwed to the bottom of the camera with 3 screws directly into the wooden camera base.

I "found" an ancient version of the the corresponding Bogen head that uses a screw lock instead of the cam. I can tighten the screw lock down on the hex plate as tight as I like and it won't be going anywhere.

Of course, I understand that you might not want to start screwing into the base of a new Chamonix. But I was leery of using a standard QR on my 8x20 as well. This solution of mine has worked quite well. I will say that the screw-lock version of the Bogen head is the only one I have ever seen, it has to be 30 years old or so.

John

When you are in ULF with camera set ups over 25# you are in a special category of photographers for which the market for quick release is few and far between. I use a Bogen 3039 head with the quick release plate for my Canham 8x20 (17#) and my Calumet black C1 (15#) and it does well because it is below its 20# rating. I would not ever use this with my 34# Wisner 11x14 tech field because it would greatly exceed its design criteria and it could be painful as hell esthetically and in the pocketbook.

From an engineering perspective there is a reason that the Ries A100 tripod has a 6" square base plate on its head. You need that surface area at the base of the camera to adequately support a camera of this large size and proportional weight distribution. Compromising on any smaller support plate is taking a risk that I personally do not feel is worth the price of admission.

Yes, it is a bit of a pain in the ass to screw down the camera on the large Ries head on the A100 tripod, but it really does not take that long. Fact is that everything with these big ass cameras takes extra time and dedication and there are few shortcuts. It just is what it is. Look at this investment as insurance that your prized and expensive camera and lens are going to be given proper support and are much less likely to take an unexpected trip to meet mother earth or father rock when in service. Plus you will not be cursing the wind even when it is modestly blowing on that ground glass sail that is emulating as a ULF camera.

Just my $0.02.

You could always fashion something like this quick release Dick Streff made (towards the bottom of page) and up-size/overkill as needed. Looks like it would be pretty straight forward to make.

Thanks, Guys,

For all your responses.

Yes, Michael, the direct attachment is probably the best approach. Unfortunately,
    Chamonix does not put a handle on the camera--at least not on the larger sizes. And
    I'd like to avoid drilling into it..... still, given the weight and bulk, I'm not comfortable with just a single screw mounted method, Ries included.

Colin: I saw that wedge plate on SKGrimes's site; will contact them to see if there's a possibility....

Tran & John: thanks, I'll also look into the 3039. Tran: are you using your 2024 with this Bogen setup? I'd assume that the stated maximum weight is greatly understated.....

Boris: as nice as the Linhof piece is, I'd look at it only as a last resort, as it is quite pricey, given there may be other options.....

The best (?!) I can come up with is this: from RRS a 6" bar (MPR182) with 2 quick release clamps with the side releases; all with 2 screws. The clamps are facing each other so as to allow ease of locking/releasing the clamps. The bar is screwed into all 3 holes on the camera's base..... Granted the whole thing will be a little wobbly on a 5 series Gitzo; much less on the Ries when just one clamp is applied. Of course, the Achilles' heel is the relatively thin RRS bar. Undoubtedly taxing its intended useage.

Will report back on further developments.

Again, thanks to all for your input.

BILL

http://www.largeformatphotography.in.../separator.gif

[LIST][/LIST

wfwhitaker

A Ries A250 head with its single screw is probably going to be more secure than two Arca-Swiss-style clamps because the contact area of the Ries is much larger. The mounting screw does not support the camera, the head supports the camera; at least until it's tilted close to 90 degrees.

Jim Ewins

Guys, this is LF - Large and Larger - not press cameras used in sports photography - so why a QUICK release? Is any thing about LF photography Quick? Paula Charmley showed me the benefits of a direct connection and find it works well. Anything More between the film plane & ground is something more to give problems. Enjoy

A 'second' on the larger Ries head screwed directly into the bottom of the camera...you can glue/stick some felt pads on the tripod head to protect the bottom of the camera. the larger Ries head provides more surface for attaching the camera securely.