Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Do you fear theft/violence when under your darkcloth?

Drew Wiley

Re: Do you fear theft/violence when under your darkcloth?

The most valuable piece of equipment is common sense. You've got to be aware of
    your surroundings, whether in the wilderness, suburbia, or the inner city. But in the
    city the punks are a lot more interested in stealing your gun than your camera or
    even your wallet. All this Texas sixgun rhetoric might sound good in a Senate debate, but it's a standing joke on the street. Flashing a sidearm might scare of some knothead or a home intruder, but if you happen to encounter a serious gang
    member or a wigged out adolescent wanting to prove himself to his equally crazy peers, it's like throwing a rock at a hornet's nest. Some of these guys are routinely
    equipped to hold off a police swat squad for hours on end; so unless you're prepared for automatic weapons action, your sidearm doesn't mean much except as a temptation to bump you off. I'm not anti-gun. I've owned and shot plenty of them myself. I'm just suggesting that one shoe doesn't fit every circumstance. When I do photograph at night downtown, I like another person along to keep an eye out while I'm under the darkcloth!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I simply fart on occasion and the noxious gas cloud does the rest.
    THAT'S what's been causing my "Schneideritis" all these years!

That's a good point, Drew. If you go around with a $1500 pistol as some of you are likely to do, that pistol is valuable enough for them to kill you preemptively -- without warning -- just to get that gun.

Better to shoot first!

So the bottom line is don't go out alone, sometimes, and don't carry a firearm, all the time, don't take out any expensive equipment, just the junk, and be on the lookout for those out to rip you off or kill you. Maybe if you just talk to them they will be your friend, it worked for Jimmy Carter God bless him.

I guess man has always had to protect his goodies from the baddies, in the old west and the prehistory, a mans bone is his to protect. Hasn't it always been that when someone gets something someone else wants it at any cost?

I think it is wishful thinking to assume that anyone but us thinks LF gear is worth stealing. My lenses were stolen because the thief just grabbed the packs from my car. I am sure when he found the lenses they went in a dumpster. High end digital gear is probalby a different issue. That gun is certainly a different issue.

I'm amazed that some people carry guns while photographing. I have absolutely no intention of getting in a gun battle with anyone over camera gear, especially since it's all insured anyhow. But even if I didn't have insurance, I'm not about to risk my life for camera gear.

To answer the question, when I lived in Tampa there were a few places where I used to worry, not so much about violence as that someone would grab my camera bag while I was under the dark cloth. For those who know Tampa, the main areas of conern were Ybor City and Hillsborough State Park or the Port if I was alone late in the day with few other people around. Other than those places, I didn't worry much in Tampa. I worry even less now that I live in Bend, Oregon. I've never given theft or worse a second thought here or anywhere else in Oregon. I might have some concern in some parts of Portland but I've never photographed there.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steaphany View Post
    It's been said many times to me "A polite society is an armed society".

The reasons are very clear, take a look where ever self protection, i.e. owning or carrying a firearm or comparable weapon, has been prohibited by law. People who follow the law are left with no available means to protect themselves. Those who disregard the law, get firearms and commit crimes since they have no worries of being challenged.

The places around the world with the worst crime is where there are the strictest firearm prohibitions.

People around the world may see the US as gun crazy, but it nothing like those ancient western movie shoot'em ups. Concealed carry means no one knows who has a firearm or not. Open carry means everyone can see who has a weapon. Apart from public or private shooting ranges, they are rarely handled let alone used. Regardless, criminals want life easy and with out risk, which is how firearm possession lowers crime.

My weapon is a small Leinad derringer, loaded with 410 birdshot shotgun rounds. Over any distance, It'll just leave someone really hurting. Other than practice, I've never used it.
    Gun deaths in the USA for the year 2001= 29,573
    Gun deaths in the UK (an unarmed impolite society) for the year 2001 = 193

Chris.

OK then ltl protection?

This is really simple. I will walk a wide circle to avoid any conflict. I will go to near any length to avoid violence. But, corner me, threaten my loved ones (wife, children, grandchildren) and I will respond with all of the deadly force necessary, without regard as to my own safety, to protect them. When it comes to my property, defending my right to own it depends on the situation. Would I roll over and give up my cameras? Most likely not!

I was raised to be a man and a real man protects his loved ones and his property. A spineless wimp cries for some else to do his dirty work. As I said, I will do anything to avoid hostile confrontation. But if you push it, you may just find I am prepared to fight. This is the whole point of firearm conceal and carry. No one know exactly who is armed and to what extent.

What ever you choose it up to you. I respect your decision. I expect the same from you.

Re: Do you fear theft/violence ....... Or when is a Glock not enough

Now let me see if this is the correct way to interpret this thread. I need a hand gun but an automatic weapon is much better. I need to fart - often and loud. I need to be afwaid -- very afwaid, just in case.

I think the stats Chris posted are very interesting.

Scenario [1] -- I'm under my darkcloth and a Western King brown or a fierce snake decides to join me do I fart -- grab for the Glock ---- or go for the automatic.

Scenario [2] -- I'm on the mudflats of the Daly under my darkcloth and hear a "sound" do I reach for the auto, do I run or do I hope the croc isn't hungry.

Scenario [3] -- I'm under my darkcloth and a Sydney funnel web takes a leap onto my neck to get a better view of my composition on the ground glass -- I think I may just f--t.

Scenario [4] -- I sit in my bedroom -- under my dark cloth of course with a loaded Glock and an auto ready to go -----

-- and the first person that walks through the door ------------