Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st attempts at developing B+W sheet film at home

Re: 1st attempts at developing B+W sheet film at home

The film developing in the Harrison tent idea is still theory in my brain since the purchase of a Harrison Jumbo tent. Good question about wet sleeves. The sleeves would be out of the way during developing. A roll of paper towels could dry your hands before removing them from the sleeves. Or, it's a bad idea and I was never here.

The best/cheapest way to develop sheet film in a Jobo tank consists of:
    1-Jobo 2551 or 2553 tank. Same tank, different Jobo drive systems. Either will do. The cog lid is best for rotating. The tank MUST have the central tube with holds reels and is the light trap for the tank.
    1 or 2 2509 or 2509n reels for sheet film.
    1 Uniroller or Beseler motor base.
    Optional: Adjustable reels that hold 35mm, 120 or 220 film. If you also use those formats.

I started out handling film in a windowless bathroom that didn't get really dark until after dark outside. That was ok in the winter. This time of year it doesn't get dark until 8pm or after. I recently bought a Harrison Jumbo tent. I can handle film 24/7. What a treat! I have a Jobo 2553 tank, several reels for all formats and a reversing Uniroller motor base. Heaven!

Good luck!
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

I'm just trying B&W home developing with an orbital processor, and I've found it very easy to load and use, and economical on chemicals. Unfortunately my images aren't as good as your one, as the whole concept of B&W film, and it's exposure and development is rather new to me.

There seem to be a variety of approaches with the orbital, but I've roughened the bottom with a scalpel blade and 60 grade sandpaper, and I load the film emulsion side up, and use 100ml -150ml of chemicals. I manually rotate fairly gently.

I suspect it's probably a lot easier than messing around trying to blackout your room properly - unless you're going to be doing a lot of developing at a time.

Here's a suggestion for a cheap and easy 4x5 daylight tank to develop five or more sheets, as copied from another LF Forum member, Ed Brock. It uses the widely available Paterson rollfilm tanks and cheap plastic window screen from the hardware store. The Paterson rollfilm tanks come in several sizes; you'll need one at least big enough for two 120 rolls or three 35mm rolls.

I used Ed's suggestion to develop three sheets of 5x7 in a 1000ml Paterson tank with good results. I cut a section of plastic mesh to 5x8, folded it in two and used paper staples to hold the mesh sleeve closed. The same tank should handle five 4x5 sheets.

As copied from ED BROCK'S original message a few days ago:

"Here's how it works. For 4x5, make soft tubes from any mesh fabric by cutting 4x6" rectangles. I use plastic window screening from Home Depot. Fold into 4x3" and sew, staple or glue 1/4" from the edge. Roll the exposed sheet film and insert into the mesh tube. It will pop open and “inflate” the soft tube with the edges held firmly about 1/4" apart. Stand the tubes vertically around the fill tube of the Paterson roll film tank. You will find that 5 soft tubes will fit perfectly in a circle with the rounded edges going in the same direction (27 oz. solution required). Or, painting a word picture, looking straight down into the tank, it looks like 5 sperm swimming in a circle. Add another 5 in a second layer – sperm headed in the other direction (now 54 oz. of solution required, (the max. capacity of this tank). If you are only processing 1 layer you will need to add an empty 120 reel on top to hold the film under the solution. Yes, as an added bonus you can process sheet film and 120 at the same time – I do it often having a 6x17 back."

(Last paragraph copied from Ed Brock.)

An important footnote to my previous posting: when using the homemade mesh bags/folded film method, make sure the emulsion is on the INSIDE of the fold, otherwise you'll get scratches.

Unicolor drums are great if you are ok with constant agitation. The 8x10 will hold 4 sheets of 4x5, 2-5x7, or 1-8x10.

http://willwilson.com/unicolorinstructions.html
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

Quote Originally Posted by leighmarrin View Post
    An important footnote to my previous posting: when using the homemade mesh bags/folded film method, make sure the emulsion is on the INSIDE of the fold, otherwise you'll get scratches.
    I have been having a heck of a problem getting anything like consistency/scratch free from my JOBO 2XXX tank and a 2900 reel. So, I went down to ace, got some aluminum screening material, and made some tubes. VERY easy to do. The fit in both the JOBO (5 tubes), and my cheap tank (3 tubes )from freestyle.

So far, I have done two batches of two negatives each, and they are much better. As I get some time, I will post some images and let the forum comment on what I have been up to!

Dave

I do my 4x5 in 3 5x7 trays, using Xtol developer. (I don't think the dimples in the bottom of the tray are doing you any good.) My lab is in total darknesss, and I have a GraLab timer which I expose to light to make sure the fluorescent numbers and the sweep dials are easily visible once I turn the lights out. After the film is in the fix for about 4 min, you can turn a safelight on, and the rest is easy. It looks like you have a light leak, with that streak across the neg. Make sure your film holder is fully seated in the back of your camera, and test your bellows for light leaks. Good luck. I have been doing 4x5 for more than 40 years, and once you get the bugs out, it can't be beat.