Thread: Epson Gt12000 A3 scanner

Epson Gt12000 A3 scanner

I am looking to scan 8x10 and 12x10 negatives and am about to be become, courtesy of the auction site, the proud new owner of a transparency unit for a Epson Gt12000 scanner. I am now seeking a scanner to use it with. Obviously it can be used with a Gt12000 model but does anybody know whether it will fit any of the other models in the GT series please?

Re: Epson Gt12000 A3 scanner

My enquiries this week lead me to believe that over the years Epson have gone in for a degree of badge engineering. It would appear that The GT-12000 is the same model as the Epson Expression 836xl and the ES-8000. Clearly then a transparency unit intended for use on the GT-12000 will fit those other models.

Please I would grateful if you could correct me if I am wrong but isn't a transparency unit essentially just a light unit which replaces the regular scanner lid?
    I do not have the unit to hand yet but it looks to me that the scanner lid pulls off and that the transparency unit has 2 stainless steel pins which slot into the rear of the unit from above replacing the lid. The transparency unit is then plugged into a socket at the rear of the scanner.

If it is just a light and it would appear that a number of the Epson A3 scanners have similar external dimensions could this transparency unit be used on other Epson scanners? Perhaps the Epson 1640xl for instance which I believe may be an upgrade for the 836xl ?

In looking for a scanner to use with the transparency unit. It would be nice to know which scanners it could be used with. It increases my choice also it also opens up the possibility of using it on a higher specification/younger machine than it was originally intended for use on. Also if I have more models to choose from their is a greater likelihood that I will be able to find one I can afford. Not doing to bad so far. I was fortunate to get the transparency unit, new, unused with filmholders, for a little over £6 about $10
    I would like to thank all who took the trouble to look at my post. This is the first time I have asked a question on this forum. I am not new to the forum but have generally been able up until now to find the answers to anything I wanted to know without asking the question because somebody has already asked the question before me. I have not pitched in any answers yet because as a relative newbie I have left that to people who know what they are talking about.

Roger

A quick look that the Epson site shows that the transparency unit for the 1640xl has a different part number (B81320) to that of the GT-12000 (B81310) which suggests that they differ in some respect.

Have you checked on Ebay recently as there seem to be a few GT-12000's on Ebay UK.

David Whistance

Hi David

Thank you very much for your reply, much appreciated. I have had a little look at the part numbers. Unfortunately they are not very helpful as it would appear that Epson not only called it's scanners different names depending upon where they were being marketed. They also assigned identical accessories different part numbers.

So for this scanner it's U.S. model name was the Epson Expression 836xl, it's Japanese one the ES-8000 and for the rest of the world it was the GT-12000. The part number for the GT-12000 transparency unit is B813103 and for the 836xl transparency unit is the B813102. Different part numbers assigned to the same unit. The part number for the 1640xl transparency unit is B813202.

Common sense would suggest that their must be a difference because of the differing part numbers however pictures of the units look extremely similar and as we have seen Epson can assign differing part numbers to identical items.

I have been and will be watching Ebay UK for GT-12000's thank you for the suggestion. I would prefer to buy a 1640xl if I can determine that this transparency unit will work with it.

I think what I was hoping for when I posed this question was that somebody who was familiar with these machines through using them would be able to say to me. Yes Rog it is the same unit or no it is a daft idea. I wish I had known that the 836xl and the GT-12000 were the same when I posted the question. Most forum users are U.S. based, GT-12000 means nothing to them

Once again thank you

Roger

Did you ever find the scanner, because i am looking for a transparency unit as mine is damaged.

I am looking for a transparency unit for my Epson ES-8000, GT-12000 or a Expression 836xl (apparently they are all one and the same) as mine is damaged. Thanks