Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: LF or not? Trip advice needed...

Terence

Re: LF or not? Trip advice needed...

As others have said, the 5x7 and a TLR would be my choice. But since you already have the RB, I'd take it.

For windy/rainy days, it's always nice to have the more rigid option of the MF.

And the FM is light enough to stash regardless of what else you're carrying. If you have an 85mm or so lens, I'd go with that. A wide angle can be nice, but out there, it will never be wide enough. The place is just amazing.

Widows and Orphans Beware

Another vote for keeping it simple. Take the 5x7 by all means, but take just one lens. Making decisions is stressful, and not having to decide which lens to use for a particular shot will lighten your load in more than just the physical sense.

For the second camera, I would take a medium format folder, like an Iskra or an old Zeiss. Light, simple, and you'll get great pictures.

Take less equipment and I think you'll take more pictures, and better ones.

The notion of taking only one or two lenses seems to me to say more about the photographer than the guy asking for the advice. For me, I frame images in my mind, looking for relationships that work for me. Then, I choose the lens that accomplishes that framing. I've badly chosen the edges of images for so many years that I'm now using a viewing card (real or imaginary) to make sure that I consider the boundaries of the image. When I've made that choice, however, I need the lens that matches it.

Having only one lens forces me to frame everything the same. Perhaps I'm better with only one or two lenses at not needing the viewing card, but usually it means some images go unphotographed and others require excessive cropping.

That said, in any spectacular place, there are a million good pictures to be made on any given trip. We can only explore a handful of those no matter what camera we take. So we are unlikely to have nothing to point the camera to no matter what lens we have with us. I have been disappointed, though, when I brought only wides and needed something longer or vice versa.

Rick "suggesting Adams's advice to bring the biggest camera that can be carried" Denney

Spend the first few days and the last few days without the camera and just enjoy the best place on the planet. Take the largest format that you can, you will see why when you get there.

My last trip I took my 4x5 graflex with one lens and lots of film, and my digital D300 with 4 lenses ranging from 12-24 to 300 2.8. I also had a monopod. I carried all the gear at times, but never more than a mile from my rental car.

There's a worthwhile quantity of subjects that lend themselves well to a single lens and LF B&W film. There are plenty of other subject where you need the reach or speed of the 35mm system and I want it in color. This was for a weekend of car racing.

If it were a slower paced weekend, and you have a preference against digital, then perhaps a medium format system would be a nice complement. As far as lens choices go, large format lenses don't seem to be much bigger than medium format lenses, so that could certainly add to the cloudiness of a decision.

Flying is such a pain with cameras today as there are restrictions on bulk "and" weight now.

If it was me. a view camera with a modest wide and normal (90 & 135 or150). Leave the "big" plasmats at home. You can get modest long by some cropping. If you shoot long, a Nikon 200M will be light and packable.

Quickloads make the film less bulky. Technika boards and an adapter for the Canham help too.

Carry the 35mm being sure to include something slightly long 105/2.5. I carry a 35/2.0 in the Nikon as the normal when traveling. And it approximates the 135 on the view camera so I can use it for scouting.

KISS principle applies when flying.

bob

Correction:

Gemsinger just informed me that the smaller canham cameras do not use the sinar style board but a smaller one that precludes using the small technika board.

bob

You will compose the photograph to accomodate the camera you have with you, Keep it simple so you can photograph in automatic mode without having to analyze the camera..you can spend all your intellectual effort on the subject. I just spent 2 weeks in North Dakota with my 4x5 (I have dozens of cameras, all LF or MF) and could have done the whole thing with my 210 lens (115 photographs/230 sheets)..Evan Clarke

Good advice already given: Take the 5x7 and a small camera (35mm or digital).

I like to keep things simple when traveling so I usually take the largest format I have (8x10) and a small camera. I do this even when I drive. Too many choices are distracting.

I flew to Utah/Idaho last fall with my 8x10. I had a backpack that fit in the bin above the seat. In it I had my 8x10 Arca (disassembled) with my lenses. I also had carry-on shoulder bag for film. I like to keep film separate from the camera when flying because the film usually goes quickly through the x-ray machine and the camera is usually stopped until they figure out what they are looking at. I left from nyc and the x-ray technician let everything go through. Coming back from slc, they hand inspected the camera and every lens. No big deal. I like to keep the more valuable stuff with me when I fly. The tripod, film holders, changing bag, etc. went with my checked luggage.

Traveling with a 5x7 may seem daunting at first, bit I think you will find it not too difficult. What's the point of shooting LF if you don't take it to interesting places? Take a point and shoot for the family pics.

Whatever you do, take the 5x7. When I first went to Yosemite a few years back its all I shot with and quite frankly, if I hadn't had a LF camera with me when I was there, I would have cried!!