Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your first (LF) shot

Re: Post your first (LF) shot

Hi to all. This is my first post here. Shot with a Crown Graphic 4x5 loaner to see if I really wanted to do LF - I think I do!
    There was some damage to the film I was given to test drive which you can see in the image.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by bvaughn4 View Post
    Hi to all. This is my first post here. Shot with a Crown Graphic 4x5 loaner to see if I really wanted to do LF - I think I do!
    There was some damage to the film I was given to test drive which you can see in the image.
    Seems to me that, considering this is your first shot, you SHOULD keep going! Nice start.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Director @ Images Argentiques sultanofcognac's Avatar

Greetings all,

Here is my first-ever 4x5 of the back door of my house (three years ago), taken with an Arca Swiss Basic Model A, Fuji Provia 100f and a Schneider G-Claron 240 and no ground glass.

It's a miracle that anything came out of it, as the ground glass wasn't held in properly and, seconds after I thought I had a good focus, the gg just fell out of its seat and hit the aluminium Gaoersi loupe that was around my neck, shattering the gg (of course).

I stood with my mouth open for a minute or two, then (muttering a few things I can't repeat here) stepped back to grab the film holder anyway, which, of course, bumped the camera sitting on the ball head which wasn't 'completely' locked down and went for a spin and tilt of its own!. . . so I just manually reframed and (amidst quite a few expletives) took the (expletive!) shot.

It took five weeks to get another ground glass – so had only taken one shot before being crippled. This event gave me more time to practice tightening down everything before I make any moves, but couldn't practice camera movements or focusing because I couldn't see anything!

About this time I was seriously doubting many of the posts on this forum extolling the fun and relaxation attributes of shooting LF

Fortunately, it's been all uphill since

Johnny
    Are we truly creative, or simply too lethargic to become pedestrian?

Thank you Lachlan. I believe I will come to love this format more and more. The encouragement shared in this forum among everyone is great.

Wow, Johnny, that must have been an incredibly discouraging start Makes for a great story though, which in the long run may well be worth more
    Website - Linhof Technika, Schneider 90/5.6 Super-Angulon, 210/5.6 APO-Symmar

My first LF shot taken a few weeks ago. (4x5 RVP 50), and my first post on this forum after lurking (and learning) for quite some time.

Many things I need to get used to, but I had a great time on my first outing with the "accordian" camera (a lot of the people in the park made this comment).
    Can't wait to get out and use it again.

Dylan

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post
    Seems to me that, considering this is your first shot, you SHOULD keep going! Nice start.
    I agree! this is excellent

ok...way too much fg...but the world was upside-down...I think it took 20 minutes to actually take the pic, by which time the fog had all but burned off except in the Boonville valley below... Anyway, a great learning experience as I fiddled with knobs and darkslides.
    canham dlc45, apo-sironar-s 150, disneychrome 50 (old emulsion, with its 'anything in shade *must* be cyan' attitude)...sometime around march, 2000

That's pretty stunning for your first image!

I hope to post my first LF image here some time in the future, but alas, I have yet to see it myself! I've gone through a whole 50 sheets of shanghai film since Christmas, but it's all still sitting in the fridge waiting to be developed. Let's hope they don't turn out to all have light leaks on them once I do!

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by tbeaman View Post
    That's pretty stunning for your first image!

I hope to post my first LF image here some time in the future, but alas, I have yet to see it myself! I've gone through a whole 50 sheets of shanghai film since Christmas, but it's all still sitting in the fridge waiting to be developed. Let's hope they don't turn out to all have light leaks on them once I do!
    Fair roll of the dice!!

My first roll film camera had interchangable lenses on those stupidly large nose cones (DaYi pano camera). I'd decided to travel 3 hours to the premier National Park in my area and pinged off 5 or 6 rolls, not knowing that the screws had to be super tight. Thus, I had banding across all rolls.

Luckily, I'm not anywhere near good enough as a shooter to have lost any keepers, but lesson learned!! I know test the camera/equipment on rubbish shots before getting serious...

All the best for your shots!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky