Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I really need cable releases?

Do I really need cable releases?

Maybe a dumb question, maybe not.

I'm playing around with my new 4x5 kit (almost there!) and I noticed that the shutter release levers on my lenses (newer style Copal) are so extremely sensitive. Combine that with my ponderings about whether I want to buy more cable releases (one for each lens) or just use the one I have (and share it)--mixed also with my astonishment at the price of the Ebony releases that many seem to own--and I have to ask...

Do we really need cable releases? It seems I can trigger the shutter with just a butterfly touch on the shutter. Not good for time critical images but it sure would be nice not to carry them around.

Anyone ever do any actual tests on this?

--Darin

Re: Do I really need cable releases?

Yes, you want a cable release, but you certainly don't need to buy an Ebony one. Just a second... My favorite have a red and black woven sleave, a disk lock, and are about 18" long. On the disk it says "Mimette Japan". They're nice and flexible, and they cost about $15. I bought mine from www.badgergraphic.com, but I'm sure they're available elsewhere.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Octogenarian

Triggering a copal shutter without a cable release would probably work okay at higher shutter speeds. Minimal danger of extraneous vibration.

However, at the slower 1/2,1/4, 1/8 second shutter speeds that are normally used for LF exposures, I'm guessing that some vibratory movement would show up.

One high quality cable release used interchangeably for all of your shutters should do the job. You might need a small flexible extension for shutters mounted in recessed lens boards. Those can remain in place all the time. Just attach the main cable release to the extension.

Tripping the shutter by hand will give you blurry images, just not the fashionable soft-focus lens kind. ;-)

Yes

Yes, you want a cable release.

I use generic black-cloth-covered cable releases that cost anywhere from $7 to $10, depending on the length. If you're strapped for cash, getting one of these will cost you next to nothing. If you have a bit more to spend, these are cheap enough to buy a bunch and dedicate one to each lens or camera.

I hear you...but still, I wonder.

Later on this weekend I'll do a little test--use my longest lens on a close subject to maximize vibration potential.

Any guesses at which shutter speed offers the best (worst) opportunity for vibration? Clearly high and very long are no good. Maybe 1/2 second?

--Darin

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    I hear you...but still, I wonder.

Later on this weekend I'll do a little test--use my longest lens on a close subject to maximize vibration potential.

Any guesses at which shutter speed offers the best (worst) opportunity for vibration? Clearly high and very long are no good. Maybe 1/2 second?

--Darin
    Darin,

All mechanical shutters have vibration, you really want to ensure the least possible vibration by eliminating hands-on contact at the point of making the exposure. Furthermore, large format is expensive to own and operate. A quality cable release, long enough not to add vibration, cost less then a few sheets of film. And not using one will cost film and processing.

The release is just plain cheap insurance. Why do you think everyone here uses them?

I shoot with a Speed Graphic, and use it hand-held when photographing with my 127 Kodak Ektar. This is especially easy for scenics when you can shoot at 1/100 of a sec. at f/16-22 with an orange filter and B&W 400 speed film. The resulting negatives are gorgeous. No need for a cable release, as the Ektar has a generous shutter release lever on the lens, and the weight of the camera makes it easy to be adequately steady. Give this a try for pictorial work, if your lens is so equipped.

From my personal experience, yes you need a cable release. For some time I have used Ilex Paragon 165mm in ACME shutter without a cable release, and quite a lot of the shots, especially the ones with times 1/15s-1s are blurred because of motion induced by triggering the shutter. (if you only use times 1/60s and faster, you might go without one...)

So yes, it's very wise to have a cable release.

Jiri
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").