Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: are photographs still photographs...

Re: are photographs still photographs...

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    It's different in that it's mass produced, rather than fussed with and produced in small numbers, but that's not a fundamental difference. Ever since the first salted paper print, photography has made the distinction between "original" and "reproduction" murky at best.
    Yes, like I said, interpretation enters into it when getting into the specifics of the three-dimensional world. We wouldn't think of the magazine reproduction as an "original" photograph (whatever that means) because it would always have been made through a range of additional "reproduction" processes. Even though we all know that these things can work from the digital originals now, such that the magazine pages really are first-generation representations, our frame of reference still hasn't incorporated that knowledge.

Here's a rhetorical question: If Ansel Adams, when he was making his 100 copies of Parmelian Prints from the High Sierras [sic], where gelatin silver prints were interleaved with lithographed pages of text, had had available to him the technology now available, would he have used those technologies or made the prints? I rather think he would have used the technology. He, like me, always preferred field work, or at least that's what he said. Some who knew him might have insight. I just wonder if the topics that get us wrapped around the axle would have been that big a deal for some of our more significant forebears.

Rick "definitions follow, not lead" Denney

wow are you a psychic? do you have a natural talent for putting words into the mouth of the now dead ansel?

and of course even if you could, i dont personally care to much for ansels photos, there boring, but thats just my opinion

inkjets will never be photography ,never

Quote Originally Posted by pablo batt View Post
    wow are you a psychic? do you have a natural talent for putting words into the mouth of the now dead ansel?

and of course even if you could, i dont personally care to much for ansels photos, there boring, but thats just my opinion

Also your opinion

That's why it was a "question". And he said with his own mouth and pen that he preferred field work to darkroom work. But I doubt that you've done much reading on that subject, or you would have known that.

Pablo, you are like a pull-string doll, saying the same sentence over and over again, but never backing it up with more than (reported) head nods from your tiny circle of admirers there in Amsterdam.

If you intend to persuade anybody, though, you are going to have to back off from the dogmatic assertion you keep making and provide an argument that can be considered and agreed with or challenged. If you are unwilling to do that, then I think you can expect just about everyone to eventually put you on their "ignore" list, as many already have.

By the way, the fact that you think Adams's pictures are boring comes as no surprise, given the opinion you expressed about boring American mountains. Fine. But that has no bearing on the discussion, actually.

Clearly, language isn't your strong suit, so why don't you post some pictures so we can see what you don't consider to be boring, and thus be enlightened?

Rick "thinking old Pablo knows a thing or two about being boring" Denney

well someone did dig up some shots of mine, and if you had read through this thread you would find them.

im not the one that keeps on mentioning that adams guy whoever he is

and also if you had read my posts earlier in the thread you will see i have explained myself

please open your eyes before you open your mouth

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30665456@N06/

they are just light box copied ,no scanner etc

Paul Cocklin

haha bury your head in the sand, enjoy your dishonest inkjets, dont let the ink run lol
    I think Pablo has done us a great community service. I can think of no finer argument than his in this thread to prove that drugs are bad...umkay?

multiplex

*YAWN*

===

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    ...or, more specifically, do today's photographs look like photographs to you? I just got the latest Hasselblad Photographer newsletter in email today. I notice that all the potential "Hasselblad Masters" are represented by images that look... well.... more or less the same stylistically. Upon closer observation, perhaps it is not the style, but the fact that, to my eyes, all that digital medium format stuff looks more like high end illustration than photography. Please believe that I am not, by any means, trying to resurrect that age old debate that will remain nameless here, but it dawned on me that many, perhaps most, of today's high profile photography looks a lot like it was done by a master with an airbrush, rather than a photographer with a camera. This is not a criticism, rather and observation. Whether work can be done with MF digital is not the point here.

I also noticed that the new H3DII-31 is available for about 13k....

We live in interesting times.
    getting back to the OP

yes, photographs these days look just like photographs these days, but not
    so much photographs from yesterdays, unless you are jerry uelsmann.
    obviously merging illustration and photography isn't everyone's cup of tea.

it is great to see photographers having fun ..

...for me the digital photography is't real art. Every one can make photo wyth AF in his new Digital Camera, then som automatic layers changing done wyth photoshop or other programm and the let's say "picture" is made...

But if you will give them old Nikon F or F2 and ask to do the same, they will not be able to do anything wythout ther's photoshop. Now it's not the quality of photographer the key to success, it's ther's best and most expensive digital cammeras, best light's, best photoshop effects and it's for me wors't meaning of photography.

Ummm, since when is film based work difficult? Digital, analog, both are pretty freaking easy. Meters, filters, consumer films and papers, readymade developers 'indicator' stop...ad infinitum.

You want to suffer for your art, try daguerreotype. Or better yet, bitumen or spirits of judea. Everything else is cheating.