Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coffeenol

Re: Coffeenol

Yes, I have used caffenol. I've used it for developing negatives and also for prints. I preferred it with prints. For developing film, be sure to filter it beforehand...use Arm and Hammer Washing Soda for the washing crystals...
    I remember when I was developing fibre-based prints in it, and when it went in the fix, there would be a lovely odour, kind of like tuna sandwiches.

Any other sources for "washing crystals"? I've never seen the Arm and Hammer product.

multiplex

caffenolC is my developer of choice.
    i also add a little bit of undilute print developer
    to boost the contrast a tiny bit.
    i have never used it as print developer
    but i have seen great results using it.
    stand works great, as does shuffling in trays or rotary ...

as for 'washing crystals' / "washing soda" / "soda ash" ...
    when i was gathering the materials to process film
    last summer in france, i went to a pharmacy to get
    the sodium carbonate. it wasn't cheap.

have fun

john

Hello Toyon,

Photographer's Formulary has Sodium Carbonate, although I am surprised that washing soda is not available just about anywhere in the US or Canada. Also the Chemistry Store, Artcraft Chemicals, a Swimming Pool Supply store or you could heat some Sodium Bicarbonate.

Andrew, I would not call the smell lovely, more like an overcooked or burnt-on roasting pan, without the charm. However, I have used it with good results.

Cheers,
    Clarence

multiplex

clarence -

what is sodium carbonate called at a pool store ?
    i went to 4 or 5 of them in france, to look for fixer as well as
    soda, but couldn't find either of them, i eventually settled on a pharmacy
    and ilford fixer found at a photo-store ...

john

Hello John,

Here is a (for example) link.

http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Ho...100030/I/14738

Where I live, swimming pools are pretty rare. There is a Town Pool in Fort Smith, NT, and a few hot tubs for those you like to watch the aurora at -40 (I'm not making this up), so I haven't been near a pool supply store in 20 years. You would have to check the ingredients, since the products usually have a non-chemical name. Also, sodium bicarbonate is used in pools as well, so one should check the label. I have found that the Arm and Hammer product works fine for Caffenol, and I suspect most bulk soda ash is pure enough, but have no evidence to back that up.

I did a quick search of French sites, and I couldn't find a product that was not bicarbonate or a mixture. Perhaps this would work, but one would have to check - it is a bit vague as to the other ingredients. The liquid form is NaOH.

http://www.piscine-clic.com/produit-...-aquaplus.html

On reflection, perhaps pool supply stores are more trouble than they are worth, if you have to drive around a lot to find the right product.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Thanks for the responses folks. Is it possible to give a better idea of development times for 4x5 and 120mm?

Thanks again.
    Kaden K.

multiplex

thanks clarence!

yeah, i did a lot of calling and driving when i was there
    i figured a drug store worked fine for both the soda and vit c ..

at home i just use arm and hammer ...
    i just didn't want to deal with shipping it over or
    chemicals in my luggage ..

john

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Rhymer View Post
    Hello John,

Here is a (for example) link.

http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Ho...100030/I/14738

Where I live, swimming pools are pretty rare. There is a Town Pool in Fort Smith, NT, and a few hot tubs for those you like to watch the aurora at -40 (I'm not making this up), so I haven't been near a pool supply store in 20 years. You would have to check the ingredients, since the products usually have a non-chemical name. Also, sodium bicarbonate is used in pools as well, so one should check the label. I have found that the Arm and Hammer product works fine for Caffenol, and I suspect most bulk soda ash is pure enough, but have no evidence to back that up.

I did a quick search of French sites, and I couldn't find a product that was not bicarbonate or a mixture. Perhaps this would work, but one would have to check - it is a bit vague as to the other ingredients. The liquid form is NaOH.

http://www.piscine-clic.com/produit-...-aquaplus.html

On reflection, perhaps pool supply stores are more trouble than they are worth, if you have to drive around a lot to find the right product.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Here is a start, http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart...nol&mdc=Search but testing is always a good idea.