Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: First Time in Utah

Terence

Re: First Time in Utah

For False Kiva, ask at the ranger station. They won't tell you about it unless you ask (try to do it when others aren't standing around), to keep traffic to a minimum, but they have a book with detailed photos of the trail and what to look for at turns in the trail, etc. A bit of a knee-knocker, but not too tough of a hike otherwise.

I owned a poster of it by Tom Till, in college. The first time I was in Moab, I just happened to walk into Tom Till's gallery and see an Ilfochrome of the very same image. Until then, I don't think I even realized the site was in Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by Terence McDonagh View Post
    I owned a poster of it by Tom Till, in college. The first time I was in Moab, I just happened to walk into Tom Till's gallery and see an Ilfochrome of the very same image. Until then, I don't think I even realized the site was in Utah.
    I own one of his 16x20 Ilfochromes of that photo. It is stunning. He says he won't say where it is, and from this thread I have learned that it is accessible. My wife, who had a panic attack (from the precariousness of the trail) going to Delicate Arch would probably not be a candidate for this trail. I'll have to find a way to do it with someone else next time I'm out there.

And it's been too long. I've been to all the places mentioned (except the false kiva), including having driven the White Rim Trail, driven to the Maze Overlook, into the back country of the Needles District, Pritchett Canyon, Long Canyon, the Burr Trail, Cathedral Rocks and Thousand Lake Mountain, and on and on. But it's been six years and I need to get back. Going back there feeds my soul.

Rick "wondering how the climb up the monocline in Medicine Hat got a mention but Scenic Highway 12 didn't" Denney

Terence

I bought the same Ilfochrome. Beautiful. He didn't tell me where it was, but seeing it there made me realize it was in Utah, and a little internet research got me what I needed. The ranger's information just made it easier to follow the trail which was under 6"-12" of snow when I was there.

After seeing the location and many photos of the place, I still think Tom Till's is far and away the best.

Aside from the view, my favorite part of the hike was that the canyon walls carry one hell of an echo when you're in the niche where the ruin is. A hand-clap sounded like a series of gunshots.