Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Photo Tour to Steinbeck Country

Photo Tour to Steinbeck Country

Help me understand this purported offer:

Ken Rockwell and Dave Wyman, will visually explore areas written about by noted American author John Steinbeck, including California's central coast and coastal mountains, and the beautiful Salinas Valley. Those interested can join the group to the tune of $350 which does not accomodations. What do you get for your $350?

Trip leaders
    Group dinner, picnic lunch
    A variety of field sessions
    Photographic instruction
    Help with accommodations in (participants are invited to stay at the same motel as the instructors, contact Dave)
    Entry to the Monterey Aquarium and Steinbeck Center

Are these types of photograhic trips worth the cost of admission?

Octogenarian

Re: Photo Tour to Steinbeck Country

If you need to ask, you're not ready for the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    If you need to ask, you're not ready for the experience.

Oh I'm ready ... I just question the cost. It sounds like participants to this workshop are subsidzing these guys income. I can drive to Monterey and the Salinas area in about 4 hrs., buy my own lunch and dinner and STILL have time and MONEY to photograph scenery etc. And it won't cost me $350 to do so.

Give me a break ... If you want to blow your money this way, you go right ahead and be my guest.

People take these tours to learn something. It sounds like you don't think they shouldn't be allowed to make a living-that they should give of their time and knowledge. That seems a little harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    It sounds like you don't think they shouldn't be allowed to make a living-that they should give of their time and knowledge. That seems a little harsh.
    I'm not saying they don't have a right to make a living. Maybe I'm biased because I happen to live in California, and I know these areas (Monterey, Salinas) very well.

As an artist, professional, whatever; its one thing to promote learning and transfer of knowledge. It's another to take advantage of a situation. Maybe I am being too harsh. I just think that the cost for this trip is a little excessive. But if you want to spend the money and you feel its justified -- by all means have at it.

It kind of reminds me of the two kids in the movie "Slumdog Millionaire," where they took advantage of the tourists and make some dough at the same time.

Octogenarian

"It sounds like participants in this workshop are subsidizing these guy's income".

Of course they are. That's how these guy's make a living.

If you don't believe that $350 is a fair price for a workshop with Ken Rockwell and Dave Wyman, check out the prices of some of the other workshops that take place during the summer months. There are quite a few of them put on by well known photographers.

Perhaps Ken and Dave are not famous enough for you. In that case, take a workshop with John Sexton, Alan Ross, Bruce Barnbaum, Ray McSaveny, etc.

[QUOTE=Gem Singer;471806Perhaps Ken and Dave are not famous enough for you. In that case, take a workshop with John Sexton, Alan Ross, Bruce Barnbaum, Ray McSaveny, etc.[/QUOTE]

Actually, since this thread began, I have discovered several workshops in the same price range, where I would be more than happy to pay the $350-600 to attend.
    One in workshop in particular in New England, would actually cost more ($400 + airlines and lodging), but to me the potential exposure to experinced LF photography would be worth the cost.

I'm actually considering one of John Sexton's workshops and I'm on his mailing list. Not that Ken and Dave need to be "famous enough," rather than the preference would be talented and gifted photographers that just happened to be exceptional instructors.

I've followed Ken's blog. Not to invalidate his talent nor his abilities; he's just not my cup of tea. I know nothing of Dave.

Maybe I need to clarify what I meant by:

"photograhic trips worth the cost of admission"

Maybe what I should have said was: considering the expenditure on camera, lenses, accessories, etc., and in some cases film; which workshops might be considered the "best for your photographic buck." Rather subjective? - yes, but if you're gonna do it - then it needs to be provide some value to YOU as a student of photography.

I suppose that just opens another can of worms ...

In 4 years I've gone to 5 workshops ... price range from $65 to $800 (5 days in Yosemite) ... all within 4 -5 hours of my home. All were well worth the money.

I had access to 1 or more top-notch photographers at each (and some really good classmates), I was shown extraordinary places to photograph and given tips on how to photograph them, I learned new processes from experts, I met other LF photographers that I still stay in touch with, I got to talk LF photography at breakfast , lunch, and dinner ... I learned a lot very quickly.

They are expensive but by my estimate the photographers that put them on are not making all that much per hour ... especially after paying their own expenses. In all but one of the workshops I attended, the teaching photographer was also paying their own transportation, lodging, and meal costs.

Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    Help me understand this purported offer:

Are these types of photograhic trips worth the cost of admission?
    It depends.

If I could afford it I would take a workshops if they were run by a photographer(s) whose work really captured my imagination---even if the subject area was in my own back yard.

If all I expect is a guided tour though, I'd save my money, buy a tourist map or in the worse case scenario hire a local guide.

Competition in the tourist industry is fierce. No one is going to stay in business for long if they offer a disappointing experience. If you like the photographic work these guys do, then it sounds like a good bet (from what you've written about it) but if all you want to do is bop around Steinbeck Country and take photos on your own you are certainly free to do that as well (just make it early in the day, before the tour busses start running. Monterey gets very crowded in the summer!)

Since you're a local (by California standards anyway) and you've been to this area before---what are you looking for (or what are you missing?) It could be that these fellows might be able to help you out. Would that be worth the tab? No one can decide that for you.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    [B]It could be that these fellows might be able to help you out. Would that be worth the tab? No one can decide that for you.
    I'm used to weather variances around California's coastal areas and in the Central Valley. I was Stationed in San Diego and Long Beach. I've lived near or on the California coast since coming here in 1968. Pismo, Santa Cruz/Capitola, Big Sur, Redondo, Marin, Fresno, Bakersfield, you name it, I've probably been there several times and at different times of year.

Humbolt County -- now there's a place I haven't visited. Beautiful! Huge redwood trees, thousands of years old.

Hey! --I'm an amatuer. I'm a sponge.

Ken & Dave will just have to wait, or offer up a location a little more inticing than Salinas.