Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: apo-germinar 450mm f9

apo-germinar 450mm f9

i have a apo-germinar 450mm f9. I couldn't find much information about it. Can someone help me out ? is it any good ?

Re: apo-germinar 450mm f9

There is some basic information in my article on the home page of this forum, although I have to admit that I need to update the article: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ter-optik.html
    Also, this forum has a search function, and there were several threads over the years on Apo-Germinars. In a nutshell, your lens is one of the best 450's (within its image circle) out there, but you need a behind the lens shutter for it - mounting the Zeiss Jena barrel Apo-G's. in a shutter would be prohibitively expensive.

It's a fascinating optic; I've never used anything quite like it. The 450mm f9.0 Apo-Germinar is in a league of its own, particularly if you're looking for a balance between image resolution, image circle and compactness. The linked page is dedicated for whole plate photographers looking for a 450mm lens as a short telephoto lens although it might be applicable to you, if you wish to compare its characteristics against other dialytes (assymetrical); tessar types or plasmat variants in this focal length.

I find the Copal 3 shutter version much more flexible to use; it also has a greater image circle than the barrel version. The barrel version is extraordinarily heavy compared to the shutter version - perhaps Arne can shed some light on this.

One alternative to the rear lens shutter set-up, requires the use of a front mounting Silens or Zettor shutter. Both offer an instantaneous 1/15th second, perhaps slower or variable due to age, a B + T setting.

If you aren't able to do either, then a 10,000x factor neutral density filter in a 58mm 0.75x pitch will help you control the shutter speeds with a standard lens cap.

Kind regards,

RJ

Whole Plate Column

i will used the lens with the sinar shutter in my 8x10 camera . Thanks for the info of the lens

Quote Originally Posted by kv nguyen View Post
    i will used the lens with the sinar shutter in my 8x10 camera . Thanks for the info of the lens
    Good, with a Sinar shutter you're all set to use it - its a great lens! With respect to RJ's question, the Zeiss barrel version uses mostly brass, as lens weight was not a concern for process cameras, whereas the shuttered Docter version used aluminum. Brass is theoretically the slightly better material for mounts (e.g. less thermal expansion), thats why Zeiss used it, but there is the weight penalty.

"there is the weight penalty," he says.

Understatement of the month. For large lenses, its more harsh punishment than mere penalty.

Wink Re: apo-germinar 450mm f9

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    "there is the weight penalty," he says.

Understatement of the month. For large lenses, its more harsh punishment than mere penalty.
    ;-) The punishment is 1200g vs. 725g in this case, according to the official Docter numbers...

Arne, I just can't forget my former 600/9 Klimsch Apo Ronar, all 3.3 kg of it.

Cheers,

Dan

So... has anyone tried it on 12x20?

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Croell View Post
    ;-) The punishment is 1200g vs. 725g in this case, according to the official Docter numbers...
    My inventory says that 450mm f 9.0 Apo Germinar weighed in at 2lb 1/4 oz corresponding to 914 gm. So maybe I made a mistake, LOL I'll recheck it when it returns from SK Grimes for an an adapter to my Packard shutter and filter setup.

Asher