Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Airport Security Inspections

Airport Security Inspections

The InVision CTX-5000 SP scanners are only used for checked baggage and not for carry-ons. Film in carry-ons should be fine with the lower powered x-ray machines. See http://www.martweis s.com/film/ctx5000.shtml

Simple: don't load your holders before you leave, and unload them before you return. Let the empty holders fly in your checked luggage and carry on your film in the boxes. Unless you are going through multiple security scans you should be okay. As others have ppiinted out, checked bags are not x-rayed, they use gamma ray technology (as described above. lead doesn't stop gamma rays.

Recently read an experience related by email to me where someone's film boxes had to be inspected and opened. After a "scuffle", every fourth box was opened in a closet with the lights out. Sounds a little implausible, but I have no reason to believe that this wasn't a true account.

I like the idea of shipping film boxes and/or film holders by fed-ex, ups, etc.

As an update I made the trip, with unprotected TMAX 100 in filmholders in a shoulder bag that went through the usual carry-on machine. Both ends they wanted to go all through the camera bag but paid essentially no attention to the filmholders. On the way out of LAX they took away a paper clip as a possible weapon. Seriously, I keep it in the bag to stick through the Packard Shutter instantaneous hole when I'm using one of those. I forgot it was in the bag. The film looks fine as it always does when it goes through the carry-on screener. Some people (at random) have "secondary search" right in the terminal with more powerful x-ray equipment and the sign said to take all film out first. The newest lead bags claim they will protect film from the intense beam mentioned in some of your posts. Problem is, since you don't know if your bag got zapped you wouldn't know if you were protected or lucky until it was too late. Thanks for the advice, folks. Leave those paper clips at home.

Has any one used Fed-x to get professional roll and sheet film to locations out side of the US? I have been trying to use Fuji's web site to find film dealers in locations out side the US, but it refers you to each contries rep. I have contacted the rep. and have met with spotty success on finding a local "stocking supplier". Pricing in some locations has been a bit of a shock, mybe shooting 35mm or digital is an option.