Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tripod suggestions

Tripod suggestions

I am having a devil of a time trying to find a tripod to fit what I need. I already have a Slik U9000 cheapo that I use for holding lights, sometimes my camera at home, etc. I also have some nice 190CXPRO3 legs (supports 11lbs) with a 460MG head (supports 6lbs) head which is far too light for the Cambo, but great for hiking with my 35mm and/or digital.

Ideally I would like one that is sturdy and inexpensive, and does not weigh too terribly much. I realize out of the cheap, strong, light selections you can only have two of the three, so I am choosing cheap and strong, but not insanely heavy.

My problem here is exactly how much weight do I need to support (I don't have the Cambo yet but I read the camera is about 8lbs without lens, lensboard, film, dark cloth, etc)? So I am guessing about 10lbs. For stability with a large 10lbs should I shoot for something that supports 15lbs or more?

I was thinking about a used Bogen 3046 tripod with 3047 head which I believe is rated at 26lbs(legs) and 16.6lbs (head), but seems more like a studio tripod and weighs 15lbs. How about a Slik Pro 700DX rated at 15lbs and only weighs 6lbs? Any other ideas?

Allan

PS. Be nice, this will be my first LF camera, never used one before and desperately trying to learn quickly.

Re: Tripod suggestions

Hey Allan,

The Cambo is a great camera for learning, it has all the movements you will ever need, each of those has a separate knob/control (except for the swing/shift) and is built like a tank. But it IS heavy, you got the right figures and let me tell you, it is heavier to carry than it sounds on paper! Still, it is good enough for studio and out-of-the-car type of shooting.

I started out with the exact same combo - I still have it and really like to use it if/when I don't have to carry it. Generally speaking, the heavier the tripod, the better, especially with this type of camera. It is definitely good to have a tripod/head set that is heavier than camera/lens combo sitting on top it. The extra tripod weight really helps stabilize the camera and take a lot of guesswork out of the learning process.

The set you mention is cheap and yet solid, it is simple but has all you need for learning. I'd say get it, use it for a while and it will help you figure out what to do or buy next. It will be easy to resell or it could be a great backup/home camera.

Good luck,

Marko

P.S. I am not sure if "quickly" is the right approach for LF, if I were you, I'd take it slowly, one thing at a time. Actually, that's exactly what I did (and still doing) but YMMV.

Octogenarian

Bogen (Manfrotto) 475 tripod legs, with a Manfrotto 808 RC4 head.

You may not be able to find a used outfit, but relatively inexpensive if purchased new.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    The set you mention is cheap and yet solid, it is simple but has all you need for learning. I'd say get it, use it for a while and it will help you figure out what to do or buy next. It will be easy to resell or it could be a great backup/home camera.
    Which set? The Bogen, or Slik?

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    P.S. I am not sure if "quickly" is the right approach for LF, if I were you, I'd take it slowly, one thing at a time. Actually, that's exactly what I did (and still doing) but YMMV.
    I meant get up to speed as far as equipment needed goes, but I do get your meaning :-)

Thanks!

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Bogen (Manfrotto) 475 tripod legs, with a Manfrotto 808 RC4 head.

You may not be able to find a used outfit, but relatively inexpensive if purchased new.
    OK, your definition of inexpensive is quite a bit different than mine, heh. B&H has the legs only for $305, both the sets I mentioned in my previous post were under $200 complete. Thanks for the suggestion but I will hold out for something a little less expensive.

Allan

You will soon be able to shop here at the LFPF Buy/Sell forum. Post a WTB listing. You will find something you like. Good tripods come along. Not as often as cameras & lenses, but they do come.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

I have used a Cambo view camera for years on a first-generation Bogen 3036 (Manfrotto 075) legs. For the longest time, I use a Bogen 3047 (029) pan-tilt head, then a Manfrotto 229. But recently, I've changed all my equipment over to Arca-Swiss-style plates, and I'm using an old Arca-Swiss Monoball for the Cambo. It works fine, even sideways.

The 029 heads seem to be generally available used and the 3/8" hex plate is very sturdy on a Cambo. And it seems that the 475 legs are the current version of the old 075 legs. These are not light, but neither are they monstrously heavy.

Before the 3036 legs, I used the 3046 legs and I still have that tripod. It was the strongest tripod affordable by mortals at the time and it works fine. The advantage of the 3036 legs, though, is that the center braces are adjustable and the legs will spread out to the point that the short center column nearly touches the ground. It will get MUCH lower than the 3046 legs. But the big disadvantage to the 3046 is that you can't level the top of the tripod on unlevel ground except by adjusting the length of the legs. With the 3036, you can loosen the center braces, and adjust the center column to be vertical, without adjusting the length or position of the legs. And you can adjust the position of one leg independently of the others, which you can't do with the 3046. That extra flexibility is a real time-saver in the field and is the main reason I switched.

So, I would recommend your plan, but with 3036 legs instead of 3046 legs.

You might also look into Berlebach tripods, which seem to be the price leader for wood tripods. I've played with a couple, and they seem completely competent. They will be lighter for the same stability.

Rick "never underestimating the value of adjustable center braces (or tripods that don't need them)" Denney

I've got the Cambo SCII & Bogen 3046/3047 combination and I agree that it is a good set up for studio or quite near the car. The problem with the Cambo monorails is how bulky they are to transport or how long they take to set up if folded flat.

I have just acquired a folding field camera and am now anxiously looking looking forward to getting a light and elegant tripod. I would definitely characterize the 3046 legs as clunky, and just discovered that the current version of my head weighs as much as the new tripod legs I am considering. The weight and bulk of the Bogen setup does aggravate the problem of marshaling the energy and enthusiasm required to get the Cambo out into the field.

None-the-less, I do think that the Cambo/Bogen combo is a great set up for learning.

Octogenarian

Flea77,

My thought was that the Manfrotto outfit is relatively inexpensive compared to Gitzo, Reis, and the newer carbon fiber tripods from various manufacturers.

You are talking about a tripod for mounting a heavy camera. Those inexpensive, spider legged tripods just won't do the job.

Good luck on your search.

Something else to consider - For cheap and sturdy how about these -

Tripod for under $50 new -

http://www.antonline.com/p_60-ALQCI20-GP_332328.htm

and this - you will need this to change the screw from 5/8" to 1/4"

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006393Y/...0&linkCode=asn

Gets you started for under $75 -I used a set up like this until I saved up enough to get my first Ries.