Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wollensak lenses - mounting in Betax?

Wollensak lenses - mounting in Betax?

Can a Wolly barrel lens or a Wolly mounted in a studio shutter be easily mounted in a Betax? Something like a Verito lens is what I am asking about and the emphasis is on easily done.

If so, would it just be a matter of unscrewing the elements and screwing them into a shutter?

Re: Wollensak lenses - mounting in Betax?

he can be done, but not very easily. The problem is that the distance between elements will very likely be different when shifting from a studio shutter or a barrel mount to any shutter including a Betax. There is also a consideration of finding a shutter with the same diameter and screw pitch as the earlier mount.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Not easily done at all. The Studio Shutter has male threads and the Betax has female threads, so the barrels are completely different.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Studio shutters can be fixed. They are not bad, particularly if you practice timing shutter speeds. You can get 1/4 second speeds pretty easily. Handy with 25 iso film.

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Really depends on the lens. Although I have 2 Wollensak barrel lenses which went straight (right cell spacing and all) into respective shutters: A 162mm Enlarging Raptar which fit straight onto a Betax #3 and a 15"/f5.6 Wolly Tele which matched an Alphax #4. Bute.g. the Verito may well be unsuitable: I once had a 209mm Raptar, a 10" Conley Ser. V (= Wolly Ser. I) and another Wolly which didn't fit any Alphax/Betax, or Rapax shutters. (S.K. Grimes put the Conley in the end into an Alphax #3 for me). Mark and Toyon are both right though: Studio shutters are different animals than Alphax/Betax, but can be repaired (I can recommend e.g. Flutots in Whittier, CA). Other options always include the Packard, hat, lenscap.....
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

wfwhitaker

Which Verito are you asking about? Some are just too big. But the smaller ones can be transplanted. My 8 3/4" Verito cells were a direct fit to an Ilex #4 shutter. That's "easily done". But not every set of cells may be the same and there's no guarantee it would work for your particular lens. As Mark suggests, if yours is in a Studio shutter, the barrels may need to be adapted to fit a different shutter. One advantage of the Ilex over a Betax is that the Ilex is a sync shutter. Larger Verito's such as the 9" or the 11 1/2" may be able to be mated to a large Compound, but it would be some work. Smaller Verito's can be mated to shutters, but again it depends on the particular lens and the shutter. And it may require some machine work. As mentioned above, Studio shutters can be cleaned and adjusted to work smoothly. That may be the simplest route.

At the moment, I don't have a Verito. I have a spare Betax #4 and was wondering if I could get a Verito in a barrel or studio shutter that would fit in the Betax 4. I ran across an old Verito in a bad shutter pre-dating the Betax, but I have been told that one will not fit without significant machining and expense.

Even the 8 3/4" Verito had a #5 when it was in Betax form. Perhaps a 7 1/4"? Kind of a longshot trying to match any old lens to any old shutter. Nothing was standardized at that time period. You're just going to have to rob a bank and buy a modern Cooke / Pinkham.

I had my only Verito, an 8 3/4 mounted in a # 4 Compound with full speed f4 i don't think the opening in #4 Betax is large enough for full speed on the 8 3/4 but a 7 1/4 as Jim suggest should be fine.

I had an 8.75" Verito mounted in a Betax #5 and so was very surprised to see the same focal length Verito mounted in a #4 Betax on ebay several months ago.