Thread: 7x17 film holders

7x17 film holders

Does anyone know whether 7x17 AWB holders that fit a Philips camera are likely to fit an older Korona? I realize there are variations in specs for these cameras and holders, just wondering if there is any rule of thumb? Also, if the holders don't fit can they be modified or "retrofitted"? Thanks

Don

Re: 7x17 film holders

Korona did not really have a standard as width and position of the rib lock position on Korona backs can vary by up to 3/8" .

But, most holders can be modified to fit the back, or if not the back can be modified to accept the holders. If you have several holders the second course of action is usually the easiest.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Don Ciccone View Post
    Does anyone know whether 7x17 AWB holders that fit a Philips camera are likely to fit an older Korona? I realize there are variations in specs for these cameras and holders, just wondering if there is any rule of thumb? Also, if the holders don't fit can they be modified or "retrofitted"? Thanks

Don

Going the other way, I bought two Great Basin holders that had been used on a Korona. They did not slide all the way to the end of the slot in my Phillips 7x17. I showed them to Dick Phillips asking if there was a way to modify them to fit. He ended up adding a strip of wood to the film holders that increased the 17 inch side length by 3/16". Judging from what Sandy says it must be a case by case situation.

John Powers

Richard Ritter told me the key to ulf photography was to purchase the holders 1st, then have the back modified to fit the holders. It is not hard (for someone like Richard) to make this modification.

Welcome to the 7x17 club!

The holders can be modified to fit the camera or the camera can be modified to fit the holders.
    From working on these size holder the only thing standard on the holders made by S&S and ABW was the "T" dimension.
    Now the makers of holders have a standard they work to. The Phillips was made before there standards. The holders could be too wide, the rib lock in the wrong spot, the flap end is bigger then the model Phillis used.
    If you are having new holder made send the back to have the holder made to fit the back.

So the answer is yes and no about fitting your camera. The only way to find out is to try them.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

Richard, do you know if the Chamonix 7x17 holders will work with one of your 7x17 cameras without alteration?