Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacement ballhead - suggestions?

Ron Miller

Replacement ballhead - suggestions?

Guys,

I've got a great carbon fiber tripod that will handle 25 lbs with a ballhead. I bought both when I was shooting a DSLR and huge 30mm lenses which I have sense stopped using. While the tripod is fantastic, I have neglected the ballhead to the point where it will be replaced and I have the $$ to replace it now. My current work is only with a LF 4x5 (Chamonix) which is 3 lbs or so. But I am starting to jones for an 8x10 so I suspect that is in the cards over the next few years.

Anyone have suggestions for a head for my Gitzo for the 4x5 and "probably" an 8x10.

Thanks,
    Ron

Re: Replacement ballhead - suggestions?

I use the Really Right Stuff BH-55 LR with my Gitzo 1325 and Ebony 4x5 and Fotoman 6x17. It works very well -- never have had a problem. I also purchased a separate B2-Pro II clamp and have it attached on an older Gitzo Rational 4 head and Pro Studex legs for my Arca Swiss for studio work. RRS produces great products IMO.

Darr

Compare Kirk, Arca-Swiss, Gitzo, Acratech, at the B&H website. All are good, comes down to features and price.

Also check Really-Right-Stuff as Darr suggested. They are great people to deal with and were very helpful to me.

If you have the opportunity to try a geared head, do so. You may still prefer a ballhead, but for LF, the precision of a geared head may be worth it, and the slower working process isn't generally a problem for many users.

The Manfrotto 410 "Junior" geared head will certainly handle your 4x5 and possibly a light 8x10. The next size increases for Manfrotto are the 405 medium-sized and 400 larger one. They're rated for 5, 7.5 and 10kg respectively, but those may be a bit conservative for LF, where you can usually get your camera's weight more centered than a smaller camera with a huge lens.

Here's their pointlessly long URL for all 3 heads: http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/...lsf=80&child=4

Arca-Swiss makes a geared head too, but it's a wee bit more expensive, to put it mildly.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

You do not want a ball head for 8x10. It will drive you nuts trying to level the camera. I don't like a ball head on my 4x5, either. I find plate heads far easier to center with LF cameras.

For 35 mm and medium format, I love ball heads. I own a bunch of Really Right Stuff gear. But when I shoot 8x10, I only use a plate head.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Well, I'll get our choice in: Check the Novoflex Classic Ball series and Magic Ball series and the Linhof Profi series.

If you decide to stay with a ballhead, keep an eye out for an original (pre-B1) Arca-Swiss Monoball. These sells for fairly cheap because they aren't as popular, but they are outstanding and can easily handle just about any LF stuff you want to throw at it. I used to use a Bogen 3039 (or is it 3029--I can't keep track of all those numbers) which is the fanciest of the three-way heads they sell, and I prefer the ballhead even for a view camera. But a cheap ballhead goes the other way--it will turn you off on that concept altogether.

I've never used a geared head, but the link provided previously is intriguing, to say the least.

Rick "who uses a one-sided gimbal head for most small-format stuff" Denney

What's your budget, and is there a maximum weight in mind?

You might want to look at the Korean made PhotoClam Multiflex:
    <http://www.gobizkorea.com/blog/en_catalog_view.jsp?blog_id=kipc9114&co_lang=2&group_code=7900&obj_id=842874"> or <www.photoclam.com>

A google search shows many dead end trails to it. Maybe Arca Swiss succeeded in keeping it from being distributed.
    Jeff Keller

I have the original Acratech on my old aluminum Gitzo and it's very strong with the Lotus 4x5. It's very fast to operate and is super light.

But it wouldn't be a good choice for a heavy 8x10 if you end up going that route.

I have a massive Studioball with my Zone VI 8x10. No problems leveling it, but.....I had Richard Ritter add two additional tripod sockets to the camera, so I could use the RRS MPR-1 plate. A single point attachment wouldn't do the trick in my mind. The camera is too heavy and the plate will move, but having a plate with TWO screw mounts is the way to go. Something to think about if you do get a heavy 8x10 with only one mount.

CH