Thread: Unidentified 5x7 view camera

Unidentified 5x7 view camera

I took interest in LF three months ago and just purchased this view camera for a restoration project. Can someone identify the maker?

Re: Unidentified 5x7 view camera

If the back rail is attached and fold up over the ground glass, it is likely an Agfa or Ansco (or Agfa/Ansco!) It wouldn't the Universal Model with front tilts however (perhaps it is the "Commercial?" or some other model--they made a bunch of 'em) If it is an Agfa/Ansco (which I suspect it is,) then you ought to be able to take the camera off the rails and reverse it so you'll have a front focusing configuration. That is what I have on mine since:
    A- It gives the lens a wee bit more protection, poking out between the rails when folded for travel, and
    B- you don't have the rear rails jabbing you in the ol' breadbasket (I really need to go on a diet!)

Nice looking camera! Enjoy it!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

It looks exactly like my 5x7 Korona with two exceptions:

1 - Mine has the tilting front option.
    2 - Mine does no have the wood corner braces at the bottom of the front standard.

Other than that everything look identical. I picked up mine for $20.00 just over 30 years ago. Last used it a couple of weeks ago. Great camera!

OOPS!

I spoke too soon . . .

My Korona has the bed folding to the front. As it is now it provides protection for the lens. I seen no reason why it couldn't be turned around though.

Korona Home Portrait most probably.
    Full with mission!

(you ought to be able to take the camera off the rails and reverse it)

I never would have thought about that. If you had to choose one lens to cover people photography (street & studio) which one would be your choice for this project?

Quote Originally Posted by mercadov View Post
    (you ought to be able to take the camera off the rails and reverse it)

I never would have thought about that. If you had to choose one lens to cover people photography (street & studio) which one would be your choice for this project?
    Do you want soft focus or sharp??
    For soft I use a Cooke 13+ incher (I forgot exactly! The markings are pretty well worn off her. It is a big lens but the one I have fits into Betax No. 4
    For sharp an Goerz Apo Artar 14"

While I've never used one, a 190mm Wide Field Ektar might by rather flattering. I like what the 250mm WF does to people on the 8x10
    YMMV of course!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White