Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie jumping into 4x5 processing

Re: Newbie jumping into 4x5 processing

The Samy's kit mentioned is the one I ended up with, and I'm very happy with it. As it turns out I don't use the loader, but it was thrown in, so I have it. Once I figured out how to fumble around and get the "wings" installed by feel on the 4x5 reels I had it made. That kit is a very good deal. One tip for 2509 reels: File a small "v" groove exactly above the center plastic tab on one side of each reel. Easy to locate with your fingertips in the dark, and makes placement of the wings quick and easy. Once you have the correct (center one of the three) plastic tab located with your fingertips, the wings snap right into place with just a little pressure.

Since I don't do a lot of film I'm using Ilford DD-X at 1:4 in the throwaway mode, and it works just fine, seem to be a very reliable and forgiving developer--I'll probably stick with it. I don't have running water in my "darkroom", which is just a table in the back room of my shop 250' from my house. At first I was afraid this would be a big problem, but not so. I got a couple of rectangular Wal-mart 2.5 gallon drinking water tanks with spigots, and I refill these as needed from a 5-gallon Culligan bottle. I use bottled water for the developer, stop, and fix (the stop and fix last a long time since they are reused), then after fixing take the tank immediately into my house and do the standard Ilford 5-10-20 rinse in tap water, which in my case is hard well water. Back to the shop, pour out the last tap water rinse, and add about a liter of bottled water with a couple of drops of Aristo wetting agent, drop the tank back on the Beseler roller for a minute or two, dump the tank, open it, extract the film from the reels and hang, very gently wipe down the film with damp paper towels and leave to dry. Not a bit of scratching, dust or spot problems so far, and the whole routine is very easy and quick. Now that I've seen how easy it is, I'm embarrassed I didn't start doing this years ago. Rotary processing on a motor base with Jobo tank/reels has worked out great.

I have done quite a bit of 4x5, and maybe a dozen 120 reels, but so far haven't done any 35mm. No reason to think that won't be easy, too.

On the humor side, when developing my second batch of 4x5 FP4+, I got the film loaded on the reels, after much cursing finally got the wings in place, installed the reels on the center column, and dropped the whole rig into the tank. That's when I looked over and saw the tank lid sitting on the workbench beside me. Dang. Fortunately I have a big Fuji dark tent with long sleeves and double elastic, and I was able to extract myself from the sleeves, sneak the lid into the tent via a sleeve, and cap the tank. I'll have to admit I was sweating bullets there for a few seconds, though.

If the wipping down part is working for you, do continue.

On the other hand, I quit touching my negatives and have not had any problems.

Different strokes for different folks.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

I'll keep that in mind, Wayne. Thanks. I have been using very damp paper towels with a very gentle single wiping motion, so far without problems, but clearly it would be better to not touch them at all if I could do that and not end up with any water marks or streaks. Maybe I'll try it with a roll or two of 120 and see what happens.
    Jerry

i do stand development (Ansel Adam HC110 version) using the big Jobo tank. If you pre-wet the negative, it seems work ok but I am a beginner myself and hence not really an advice but just an idea.

Unhappy 4x5 processing uneven dev DK 25

Can anyone suggest some pointers here..? I'm using the Japanese ISE dev tanks for 4x5 B/W, I'm finding it difficult achiving even dev across the film, there's room for 12 sheets but that seems part of the uneven problem.? so I put in 6 at a time with an empty space between each neg (more room for even dev me thinks).? I'm using TXP 320, the DEV is DK 25, I'm rating the film at 100 because of the dev, I'm processing at 17 min's at 24 degrees, and still flat and uneven, on top of which it looks like I'm still loosing a stop using these combinations.? the agitation i use is, i lift the whole tank up and gently swirl in circular motions for the initial 30 sec then 5 turns to the right every min, then 5 the other way the following min..and 17 mins per 6 sheets, per dev, is doing my head in when processing 100 sheets per shoot, I'm thinking of increasing the metol 1 gram per LT.?? may not be enough...painful......help.........Peter

I'm not familiar with the ise tank, but generally agitation (in dark room) is done by lifting the holders, tilt at 45 degrees to drain to the left, then dip and drain to the right. then set them back in. The tank stays stationary the whole time.

If you agitate the tank, because you can't invert it like a roll film tank, the top is going to get more agitation than the bottom. I can't see this being effective.

Also at the start of the development I begin by repeatedly lifting and dropping the holders (about 1 cm) to provide initial agitation and ridding them of any bubbles. This goes on for the first 30 seconds.

So in summary, pull the holders out straight up, tilt, dip, tilt then let them rest until the next interval. This should give you even development. Once you have even development, figure out how much time is required for complete development.

Until you have your agitation method worked out, don't make changes to your chemicals or you won't know which variable to deal with.

Thanks for the time out Jack...peter

Hobbyist

The main thing to watch out for when doing tank processing with hangers is the lifting and dropping speed. Slow and smooth is required to avoid "Surge Marks" on the negative. Learn to use the same speed for all stages. This will make is easier to duplicate the motion every time for consistent results.

Cancel the Jobo, buy four 8x10 plastic trays (with dimpled bottoms), and some wood cloths pins (or stainless film clips). It's easier and more satisfying.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Thumbs up Re: Newbie jumping into 4x5 processing

Thanks guys much appreciated, the more you think about it, the simplicity of tray dev might be the way to go...nice one......Peter