Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone shooting musicians?

Richard M. Coda

Re: Anyone shooting musicians?

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Peterson View Post
    Yeah, good music died with Jimmy Morrison! Half the politicians ain't worth the price of a bullet.
    AMEN to that!

http://rcodaphotography.blogspot.com...follow-me.html
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Quote Originally Posted by dsphotog View Post
    He He, I get it....
    But what about accordian players?
    or bagpipers?
    What, you don't like good Cajun, TexMex and Celtic music? Some of the best in the world. There's nothing like a good Celtic band with a bagpipe and accordian. If you want some unusual music, listen to YoYo Ma's Silk Road Project CD.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

The definition of a gentleman is one who can play the bagpipes; but doesn't. Actually like them but seems whenever you hear them either a bonspiel or the army appears.

Years ago I used to shoot a small city symphony. Low light, high reflections but got to hear a lot of classical music which prior to that was not interested in.

Richard M. Coda

When I worked in New York City there were street musicians everywhere. There were only two times I ever stopped, sat down and listened, and threw a few dollars in the jar. One guy was playing Jimi Hendricks. I closed my eyes and I could not tell the difference. The other was a guy playing the bagpipes. Pipe organs, Hindu music and Bagpipes are the only types of music that I can close my eyes and be transported to another place. Amazing Grace (when Spock died) on the bagpipes made me cry. It was eery hearing the bagpipes bouncing off the canyons of Wall St. and you could here it for blocks... almost like it was drawing you to it. Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Said the hell with it, missed my train and got a few Sabrett's for an al-fresco dinner.

I did photograph my daughter's Jazz teacher a couple of weeks ago (4x5 and 8x10) but he is a "swayer". I'll scan the negs and see if any are good. I got a few "action" shots of him at the Pipe Organ. The organ is sharp as a tack... him, not so lucky.

(And, yes, Cajun is cool, too. Buckwheat Zydeco).
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

I shot bands in bars for quite a while. I used my FM2 and a monopod. A 135mm 2.8 and XP1 at 800 and I was good to go. Make friends with the light guy and shoot on the beat.

I'm in the process right now but I'm not using a LF camera. I've thought about adding it but mainly for group photo's only. I have the photo's setup on a image hosting site with a contact address and "proof" across the image shown to (hopefully) prevent downloads but people will take them anyways. Now tho I'm considering just getting cheap digital pictures printed out thru my lab and displaying them for sale at the recording studio where I shoot once a month during a special affair that goes on. I don't see much money in the topic, but I'm personally not in it for the money. For me it's more about helping a friend out who's the GM and I get to go out and shoot something that's not concrete and blacktop. You might consider as a very small idea to just shoot the group for any potential CD release picture and get a release just in case they make it. Actually I think there's more money in family sittings and pet pictures over music stuff. Nowadays the commercial industry is hurting as well and even the wedding people are having a hard time. My friend works as a wedding photographer thru a local house and things are slooooow. He's just getting piddly stuff here and there. Of course other areas may differ as I'm in S Fla.

If you do use them as subjects, don't expect a dime of profit. For a number of years, I worked as a guitar tech, and there wasn't one who didn't try to get work gratis or expect some discount.. Even Jimmy Page was called "Led Wallet" by his crew.

Hi,
    My brother in law is a musician and has asked me to take some shots for his promotional posters and album cover. He's just playing at pubs and has a demo album at the moment.

Problem is, I'm new to photography and really really really want to get a good shot. I don't have confidence in my skills to do something like this yet, but he is just looking to get some good shots for free. He wants to get some outdoor shots and some indoor shots. I need ideas! He sings folky rock accoustic type music.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by oneilvalencia19 View Post
    Hi,
    My brother in law is a musician and has asked me to take some shots for his promotional posters and album cover. He's just playing at pubs and has a demo album at the moment.

Problem is, I'm new to photography and really really really want to get a good shot. I don't have confidence in my skills to do something like this yet, but he is just looking to get some good shots for free. He wants to get some outdoor shots and some indoor shots. I need ideas! He sings folky rock accoustic type music.

Any ideas?
    Not knowing the particular area of the country your in makes it hard for me to recommend something. Being that he's acoustic and folk rock, I would prefer a country location and/or an old wood house. If you can get a derelict car shot in the back it might be good, depending. A sitting on the step or rocking chair porch shot with guitar in hand would be fine. This all depends of course on his own music and words. Even a well lit performing person on the stage shot would be good. If your location is more suburban try a forest shot in a park. Walking down a trail, leaning on a fence or some such. Depending on the ambiance I wouldn't go more then 2-3 stops down and watch your light direction. Fill-in with a 35mm strobe on a cheap stand close by or use a reflector held by another person. These are just ideas and their not concrete and just off the top of my head. The most important thing for you is to know your area and where good backgrounds are if you choose to shoot out. All good environmental portrait photographers know where to go. If in studio, the choice is high or low key. If a city shot, alleys are good. Overall I like pictures suggesting something concerning the music's lyrics.

I've wanted to several times!