Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone been attacked by an elephant seal?

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Re: Anyone been attacked by an elephant seal?

It is technically illegal to get within a certain distance of a marine mammal in California- I believe that the minimum distance is 100 feet? Of course, the elephant seals along Highway 1 near San Simeon are right on the bottom of the overlook, probably within 20 or 25 feet, so apparently this is not enforceable. I would definately advise against trying to photograph a bull elephant seal with a large format camera- they move way too fast, you'd need a real long lens, and putting your head under the dark cloth in the vicinity of the largest living land mammal next to the elephant charged up on testosterone just strikes me as foolhardy. Not too mention they are sure to limit access of nature watchers and photographers if someone foolishly gets hurt and ruins it for everyone else. Please just bring your digital with a long lens.
    Brian Vuillemenot

No, but I almost stepped on one at Point Lobos 2 weeks ago. There were two sunning themselves on the rocks on Weston Beach. I saw the one, but not the second. While looking for detail shots, as being aware of the one, I almost stepped on the second. Fortunately my shoe made a scraping noise and it heard me, truning its head back and up and making a noise like "what are you doing!?". I backed away and it went back to sleep.
    Dave Hally

I remember reading about a photographer shooting in the Cascades and having a run in with a marmott. Because he got too close to it's den it ran him off. Each time he tried to recover some gear it ran him off again. I'm sure both were tired and had enough once the photographer recovered all his gear.

There is a very funny shot of Art Wolf in the Olympics sitting in a tree loading his camera (yes...Art shot alot of film...lol). A small group of mountain goat were waiting for him at the base of the tree. They can be very aggressive if they think you have food.

Bob

Nothing nearly as interesting. But I set up my 5x7 Ansco View on a slab of concrete at a pull-off near Taos, NM. There are vicious ants in them thar hills--and they do not like being disturbed by the legs of a tripod. Saving grace was I had on shorts; do not like the thought of having them charging up inside pant legs looking for a fight.